New game type thingummy almost finished

Community Forums/Showcase/New game type thingummy almost finished

mkg(Posted 2013) [#1]

Er … with some trepidation I offer my latest effort for your enjoyment(?). It is a game … of a sort. It’s a gamelike thing with quite a bit of random generation experimentation thrown in. In the final version the overall point is to solve a puzzle from the seemingly disparate sections of the game. The idea is that you would have to play the game a number of times to try to figure out the puzzle – the whole thing only lasts a few minutes.

So if you have a few minutes to spare, I’d be grateful if you could download it and have a play. In this test version, the puzzle isn’t available, all you can do is try to survive and get the best score you can.

It would be great if you could answer these questions:
1. What operating system are you using?
2. Did it run OK?
3. Did you get as far as a screen that asks for a password?
4. [EDIT: this question no longer relevant]
5. What score did you get?

Before anyone asks – it will be a free game. You may think I’m mad after you’ve played it but I’m not so mad as to imagine that people would hand over money for such a silly thing as this :)

I’m including some screenshots because I know nobody likes to download anything without seeing screenshots first. But it is tricky to represent it properly with a few images so please dowload and give it a go. It’s only 16MB.

Some screens are just a matter of clicking a button. More complicated parts of the game have their own help page – press p to pause the game and see instructions.

Written in Blitz3D and using Sprite Candy and Particle Candy.

It’s called ‘a delver dreams their own demise’. Er … it just is.

Reminder: PRESS P TO PAUSE THE GAME AND READ HELP

------------------------------------------------

Edit: 10.10.2013

link now to version 1.00

Testers still more than welcome - especially need feedback re Windows 8

addtod_v1_00.zip

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#2]
> 1. What operating system are you using?
Win7 x64

> 2. Did it run OK?
It seems so.

> 3. Did you get as far as a screen that asks for a password?
Yes.

> 4. Has a file called gameover.txt been written to the same folder as the exe?
Yes.

> 5. What score did you get?
27 or so.

> You may think I’m mad after you’ve played it but I’m not so mad as to imagine that people would hand over money for such a silly thing as this :)

I don't think you are mad but I wish I could get the five minutes back... Consider it a free favor! ;-)

virtlands(Posted 2013) [#3]
> 1. What operating system are you using?
Win7 x32

> 2. Did it run OK?
It seems so.

> 3. Did you get as far as a screen that asks for a password?
No.

> 4. Has a file called gameover.txt been written to the same folder as the exe?
No. [ gameover.txt is missing ]

> 5. What score did you get?
I didn't get that far. Didn't get a score

> You may think I’m mad after you’ve played it but I’m not so mad as to imagine that people would hand over money for such a silly thing as this :)

I don't believe you're mad.
The game has a dark gothic feel to it with the spooky music and the middle ages theme.

I couldn't figure out what to do most of the time, since there aren't many instructions.
Apparently, one of those puzzles is a timed reflex puzzle.

Your game is scary.

mkg(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks a lot to both of you for taking the time to have a look at my gamelike thingummy. Sorry it wasn't more to your taste.

I've decided to put it live. It may be an odd little thing but there may be some folks out there who get something out of it.

The puzzle element is now enabled so there is a way to 'win' the game.

It would still be good if anyone else could have a look and let me know if it runs OK. I'd be especially grateful if someone with Windows 8 could give at a go as I have no way of testing on that OS.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2013) [#5]
the pics look realy unusual.