RTS Game

Community Forums/Showcase/RTS Game

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello All!

This is a little demo of the RTS Engine I've been working on.

Feel free to critique :)

http://www.rtscreator.net/index.php?/files/file/2-genesys/

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
...Is it supposed to be functional?

When I launch it, I get

- Splash screen
- Black screen with 'BETA'. "enemy is in the south east" notice
- I see a minimap border in the bottom left, and a menu in the upper right.

I can click on the base icon, see a small progress bar, and that's it.

Can't place the base anywhere, and don't actually see any terrain. Minimap is blank as well.

No sound either.

Not sure if it's not rendering certain things on my PC, or if none of the actual gameplay has been implemented yet?

windows 8 x64, US, ATI Radeon 7550, 64GB RAM.

(Oh, and just in case: You are aware that 'pirulen' is a commercial font, that needs to be licensed if you use it in an application? It's not a freebie. Here's the creator's website: http://typodermicfonts.com/ )

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#3]
Picture of it would be nice :)

Doggie(Posted 2013) [#4]
Small box appears to select graphics options.
I choose 1920/1080 full screen.
Black screen appears with selection choice in the
middle of the screen with the mouse locked into an
area which must supposed to be in the general vicinity
of the selection but the mouse can't reach the selection.
ctrl/alt/del to the task manager but the mouse is still
disabled into it's little box. Cant endprocess
I consider something like this to be malicious.
I don't appreciate having to restart my system to get out
of some useless whatever posted on a website.
I advise caution if testing this.

DOG

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#5]
This is incredibly disappointing :(

There's sound, the screen shouldn't be blank, and there is gameplay\base building.

Here's a picture

I'll have to run on this on multiple machine to figure out what could be wrong...

Sorry for any inconvenience

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#6]
Look interesting and what is written in? Blitz Max or Blitz 3D?

How easy to make RTS?

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#7]
It was written in BlitzMAX+miniB3D.

I wrote a custom particle engine and added FXAA and SSAO. I think I might of forgot to include the shader code and this is why it's not working.

It took me 4 years to write this, but at the time I didn't even know how to program. I started with Blitz3D and it took me 5 revisions before I actually understood some descent OOP principles.

The most challenging things were the particle engine, getting shroud to work efficiently. and efficient path finding for a large amount of units.

There's about 35,000+ lines of code but this engine can do quite a bit.

I would say it's just as easy as creating any other game in that it will have its challenges the deeper you go.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#8]
4 Years? You have done very well to keep going to the end and what even more amazing is that at the time when you didnt even know how to program then you work on basic on Blitz 3D before going advance!

There is saying...work on small game then take it from there and who know where it take :)

Well Done Man

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#9]
Looks good! Would love to see either a vid or a Mac build.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2013) [#10]
I like the screenshot.

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#11]
I've updated the link with minor modifications and ran it successfully on 3 different machines. Unfortunately they all had Windows 7.

What operating systems are you guys running?

Thanks

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#12]
Ok, tried it again: Still the same.

No sound, black background, nothing apparently happening. (Windows 8 x64)

This is all I see on the screen:

However: I noticed that when I click on the 'menu' button, and go to settings, I see that 'FXAA' is checked, and 'SSAO' is not (whatever those mean is completely unclear to me). When I DO check the 'SSAO' option, then the graphics DO show up! Maybe you need to enable that option by default?

Still no sound, though. What kind of sound library are you using?
Keep in mind that if you have OpenAL, you also need to have the OpenAL DLL distributed with your game, otherwise it won't work on PC's that don't already have OpenAL installed.
(You may also need to check for 32/64 bit, although I'm not sure about that)

Two other thoughts:
- The 'fog' doesn't cover the border of the playing field, which means that when I'm exploring new areas there's already a bright strip of terrain to the side of me which looks very odd

- when running in windowed mode, your game captures the mouse and keeps screwing around with the mouse pointer even when your window loses focus. That's very bad practise, since it makes the computer completely unusable for anything else if you want to switch away from the game for a moment. you should check whether or not the window has focus before you hijack the OS mouse coordinates.

all in all, it's still completely unclear to me how to play the game though. I was able to get a base and two units, then some enemy fliers starting zooming around in the air above me, but noone was actually attacking anyone.

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thanks a lot xlsior! I appreciate it, looks like I'm going to have to get a win 8 machine :x probably about time anyway

BLaBZ(Posted 2013) [#14]
Yikes!

I just updated my graphic drivers and went from opengl version 3.0 to 4.3 and I'm seeing the same thing.

Interesting!