Duck Dash

Community Forums/Showcase/Duck Dash

Picco(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi people,

I've been working on my first BlitzMax game, a Boulder Dash clone, since December 2012. There's still lots to do in the graphics and sound department, but the functionality is coming along nicely.

My father is a Boulder Dash addict and has been making a number of levels for the game, available through the "Load Online Level" menu.

Information and download

Iowalien(Posted 2013) [#2]
great job. if i remember there was a boulder dash example included with the original blitz basic. :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#3]
Looking good. Boulderdash is the all time classic game mechanic from my perspective- beats Tetris hands down.

Just don't ever refer to Boulderdash in your game- First Star Software are notorious for 'getting legal' over nothing.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2013) [#4]
What kind of algorithm did you use to generate levels? Does it have to be careful to detect the playability of the level or are you just throwing stuff around randomly?

Yan(Posted 2013) [#5]
He's using an organic neural network tied to a binary interpretation system via a multi-input pressure response matrix.

Picco(Posted 2013) [#6]
Iowan: I started with BlitzPlus, so I never saw that. Oh well.

John Galt: Yeah, I've heard of that. I don't think I'm infringing on their copyright, though.

ImaginaryHuman: It's mostly random. I only make sure that nothing is placed too close to the player and the exit. It seems to work pretty well most of the time. I'll be adding options to the randomizer soon.

Yan: Actually, it's intercepting Cookie Clicker packets. ;)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#7]
I preferred the Icicle works clone myself.

mv333(Posted 2013) [#8]
Iowan: if i remember there was a boulder dash example included with the original blitz basic.

Picco: I started with BlitzPlus, so I never saw that. Oh well.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Freeware-Games/Blitz-Boulders.shtml

Mainsworthy(Posted 2013) [#9]
I like the pacman ghosts

Pingus(Posted 2013) [#10]
Boulder Dash... One of the best and most addictive gameplay ever made !
I played countless hours on this game (decades ago :-)

Picco, there is a real need to add a 'ping' sound when grabbing a gem.
The gameplay is promising, work a bit on the graphs, especially the gems. Shiny gems makes the game experience much better ;-)