Grand Prix

Community Forums/Showcase/Grand Prix

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am happy to say that my latest Blitz Max game is finished, called "Grand Prix".

Download here: Grand Prix at Game Jolt (4.6 MB)

It's a racing game inspired by Pole Position. After reading Lou's Pseudo 3d Page last year I got the inspiration to try and write one of these games, which I had made an attempt at earlier in 2003.

Music is by coda.

The aspect ratio code is by Oddball! Thanks.

The goal of the game is to finish 8 laps or more, winning the gold cup.

Controls are: arrow keys.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#2]
Very impressive - great work there :)

any chance of ports to other systems apart from windows?

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#3]
Amazing. Excellent job!

angros47(Posted 2013) [#4]
Looks interesting. I always liked these retro-tricks. Is the source code available?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yes very nice retro game - clean and very smooth graphics :)

Analogue control with the mouse would be a good addition though.

[edit]
A port to the Raspberry pi could be an interesting project...or is that simply a challenge? ;)

big10p(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ace little retro game although I seriously suck at it. I blame age. :P I miss good retro synth music like that. Well done.

Grisu(Posted 2013) [#7]
Love it!

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks all for the compliments!

any chance of ports to other systems apart from windows?
I suppose a port to Linux or OSX would be possible. I don't have access to those systems myself but if somebody would like to try and compile for either, I can send the source code!

Is the source code available?
I plan to add the source code to the download soon. I have to tidy it up a little bit first.

A port to the Raspberry pi could be an interesting project...or is that simply a challenge? ;)
I don't have one, and don't know enough to say how much of a challenge it would be. :) I did just buy an Ouya so maybe that's an idea.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#9]
IF You crash the pole then I did love to see Flames like good old pole positions :)

You Doing very well with your GP as I did love to make one but unfortunately my programming ability isn't good as you are :)

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#10]
It's released!? Awesome!!!

[edit] played it! Loved it! The only gripe I have is that the car steering is centering too slow for my liking.. but otherwise: great stuff!

You can send me the code if you want to get it compiled for Linux, Foppy.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#11]
Aawww... No Mac port? :'(

same as Wiebo. I can compile for Mac OSX also. ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#12]

I don't have one, and don't know enough to say how much of a challenge it would be. :) I did just buy an Ouya so maybe that's an idea.

Well you'd have to use C++ and OpenGL (like the Ouya) because BlitzMax compiles for Linux only on Intel chips. I was actually running the original Pole Position under MAME emulation on the Rasp today :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#13]
Awesome, takes me back to my college days when I'd pump the odd 20p into Pole Position, great work.

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#14]
Thanks!

Wiebo and CWS, thanks for the offer, I will gladly send you the code for these versions!

But first I think I will tidy the code and make some additions. A few people have mentioned the steering being very sensitive, and Wiebo you mentioned the steer centering. I am thinking about adding car selection, where the different cars have different settings for these two parameters. Although I am not sure yet, I suppose the game will be easier then, but I will make the alternative cars drive a bit slower than the original red car. Something like this:

red car (standard):
steer sensitivity = high
steer centering = low
top speed: 340

blue car:
steer sensitivity = medium
steer centering = medium
top speed: 330

green:
steer sensitivity = low
steer centering = high
top speed: 320

(Or maybe all cars still get the same top speed.)

I also realized a difference between keyboards. At home I have one of those modern keyboards with very flat keys, at work I have one with more classic high keys (which I prefer for typing). The low profile keys seem to be better suited to gaming, maybe because there is less travel and therefore higher responsiveness in the game. I plan to add alternative keys (A,Z,<,>) because I think the problem is smaller using those keys compared to the arrow keys.

Well you'd have to use C++ and OpenGL (like the Ouya)
I read AS3 can also be used for the Ouya, which I happen to use at work. (And is much like Blitz Max.) I got my Ouya a few days ago now. Updating the firmware did not go easily, the download had to be restarted a few times (maybe their servers were busy) but after that it worked well. I find I am not very good at using the thumb-sticks to control some games, for example steering something around with the left thumb-stick. I am used to using a joystick with my right hand on the Commodore 64. ;) But this seems to be the new way so I have to practice more.

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#15]
No hurry, I will be going on vacation for a week starting today, so next weekend I'll be back online. :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#16]
Good idea to tidy up the code now you've got to grips with the pseudo 3d effect and the gameplay improvements.

Well you'd have to use C++ and OpenGL (like the Ouya)

I read AS3 can also be used for the Ouya, which I happen to use at work. (And is much like Blitz Max.)

Cool, good luck with coding up some conversions of your games - or new games.

A bit like this perhaps for Rasp:

http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/skillmanmedia

[edit]

After reading Lou's Pseudo 3d Page last year I got the inspiration to try and write one of these games.

Interesting read by the way! Thanks for sharing. Just stuck on OutRun :D

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#17]
I did just buy an Ouya so maybe that's an idea.

Monkey "should" be able to be used...

*(Posted 2013) [#18]
If ya send me the source i will compile for Ubuntu Linux 13.04 :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#19]
Monkey "should" be able to be used...

you can't use native android apps on the OUYA. it can be done but will require hacking.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#20]
This...... is...... AMAZING!!!

A perfect blend of old school look & feel but with a modern crispness. My nostalgic senses are tingling. :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#21]
Yeah, we're pushing for more, but Foppy delivers.

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#22]
looks great, brings back the memories of the NES

*(Posted 2013) [#23]
A perfect time to test monkeys ouya target :)

Rico(Posted 2013) [#24]
looks amazing! I love the graphics and how smooth it is :) Nice work Foppy

Jason W.(Posted 2013) [#25]
He even has a retro name.

Jason

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#26]
Enjoying playing this fun little racer...be interesting to be able to select 'Show/hide frames per second' option from the menu. It flys :)

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#27]
I have been having a blast with this. Really good job you have done on it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#28]
Yes, no pre-rendered cut scenes or choppy frame rates due to excessive graphics requirements. Simply good game play. Best game yet from you Foppy.

Actually you did a remake of a game I'd not heard about, and I'm working on a version of my own.

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#29]
Thanks for all the compliments!

Actually you did a remake of a game I'd not heard about, and I'm working on a version of my own.
This game? Or another, maybe Grid Fire or Manotrooper? Or you don't want to tell just yet what you are working on? :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#30]
This might give you a clue ;)

[edit]
Link moved out of Foppy's thread :)

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#31]
Aha, Crossfire! In tron-style 3d it seems!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#32]
Haha - yes! :D Like I said I missed the original, but loved the gameplay of your version...remixed in a tron-styley neon lol...big fan of tron. Maxed out on my system at 1680 X 1050 goodness :)

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#33]
Captain Wicker has been so kind as to compile a Mac OSX version for me. I have just replaced the grandprix.exe file in my Windows version with the grandprix.app application bundle, and rezipped the folder.

Now I wonder if that worked out, and if some people with Mac systems would like to test the result, which is here:

grandprix_mac_osx.zip (5 MB)

simonh(Posted 2013) [#34]
Just tried the Mac version - works great apart from the odd crash every so often while racing.

Would you be able to post a news story on the home page about this? It deserves more attention!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#35]
I second that! This is fantastic Foppy :)

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#36]
Just tried the Mac version - works great apart from the odd crash every so often while racing.
Thanks for testing. Do you mean the game crashed, or the car? :)

simonh(Posted 2013) [#37]
Unfortunately the game! Although now you mention it, it did seem to happen at the same time as I crashed the car...

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#38]
Unfortunately the game! Although now you mention it, it did seem to happen at the same time as I crashed the car...

Must have been a hard crash...

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#39]
Maybe a missing sound file for the crash sound, but that would be strange since I didn't change anything in the file folders. Or a problem with the sound itself.

It would be interesting to see if the crash occurs more often, and always when crashing the car, and if others have the same problem when testing on a Mac.

I will repeat the download link here for clarity.

grandprix_mac_osx.zip

Cobra Blade(Posted 2013) [#40]
Really love how it looks, plays and sounds. Awesome work Foppy!
Unfortunately I can confirm on OS X crashes crash the game.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#41]
Great resault

RGF(Posted 2013) [#42]
Hey Foppy!!!!

THIS IS GREAT!!!!

Haven been playing with it for two hours... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#43]
Foppy
When running in debug mode it doesn't seem to crash as often but when it does it stops without an error.

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#44]
Thanks guys! As for the OSX version, I think I will have to leave it at that, as I can't really test it myself. Maybe something with a sound file. But thanks for testing.

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#45]
Wiebo has very kindly put some time into getting a Linux version to work!

I would like to ask if a few more people feel like giving it a try on their Linux machines, to see if it works, that would be great.

Here's the download:

grand_prix_linux.zip (4.3 MB)

Thanks!

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#46]
It works on my machine! =]

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#47]
What audio driver is it using? Pulse or ALSA?

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#48]
Open AL is tried first, and if that doens't work, ALSA is tried. I have not added Pulse.

redmoth(Posted 2013) [#49]
works here perfectly, using kubuntu with pulseaudio.

fun game!

Foppy(Posted 2013) [#50]
Thanks for the feedback!

EQX(Posted 2013) [#51]
Runs very smothly in my machine.
Win7x64, 4gb, quad 6600 gtx260
Excellent Foppy !!

Pingus(Posted 2013) [#52]
Excellent, totally excellent, and great music choice ! We need a online score table :-)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#53]
Pulse not working for me. Using ALSA. anyone else have this problem? (Ubuntu 13.04)

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#54]
Hi,

Also using ALSA. As I recall I could not get Pulse working with BlitzMax and Debian 6 64bit. I will be delving deeper into this over the next month so i will let you know if I find a solution.

- Rich -

pmc(Posted 2013) [#55]
Just noticed this game. Love it. I'll load the Windows version on my arcade cabinet so I can map to and play with arcade controls (joystick and microswitch buttons). It looks like it'll be great on the cabinet when launched in full-screen.

I just upgraded my main PC to Linux Mint 13 (Maya) which is based on Precise Penguin (Ubuntu 12.04) which uses PulseAudio. No audio when running the included grandprix linux binary. I'll figure out how to switch it to ALSA. Meantime I wanted to report it here that it didn't work out-of-box.