Death Statue

Community Forums/Showcase/Death Statue

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#1]
BlitzMax-based AAA first-person shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9wXXYyCfbg

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#2]
Josh: You should visit the links below and read up and make sure you are compliant with any licenses or exemptions. I would hate to see the demise of your company because you have ticked off the federal government for selling software to somebody in a country under sanctions without having the necessary license or exemption.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/iran.pdf
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/iran.aspx

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
Although the game does look good, it's far from being an AAA quality title.

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#4]
Made with blitzMax? Your trailer says LeadWerks... If your trailer mentions blitz, i missed it. Saw leadwerks several times.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Leadwerks 2 was made with BlitzMax.

Our payment system does not allow transactions with any country the U.S. has sanctions against.

I love the Blitz forum, always full of positivity and constructive feedback.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2013) [#6]

I love the Blitz forum, always full of positivity and constructive feedback.

Game looks great. Probably the best Blitzmax affiliated game I have ever seen. Well done! Ignore everyone else, probably just jealous.

feeble1(Posted 2013) [#7]
Your character animations are downright impressive. Did you have a motion tracking system?

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#8]
game does look great, just didnt think it was made with blitz, didnt know blitzmax made leadwerks, thought leadwerks was C++. Anyway, it does look great bro, i took you for a spammer and i stand corrected.

SO yeah, best blitzmax game ive seen!

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#9]
Your character animations are downright impressive. Did you have a motion tracking system?

I didn't make this game, i just made the engine it's using.

Leadwerks 2 was made in BlitzMax. Leadwerks 3 is made in C++.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#10]
I disagree about this not looking AAA. I do not play a lot of this genre, except when visiting the grandkids. This looks just as good as many AAA titles on the market. Heck, the scene of the gun boat of the river was realistic enough to bring back unpleasant memories of being on the Mekong River. This is a really impressive looking game and along with the cartoony one done in Leadwerks, really showcases the unbridled power of the product when it is in the right hands.

Our payment system does not allow transactions with any country the U.S. has sanctions against.

Good, glad to hear it.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#11]

Good, glad to hear it.

This is no "feature" but just a legal aspect. I cannot imagine people paying attention whether their payment system disallows payments from special countries. Exception is if someone asks or hints them.

It is even discussable if one should be allowed to sell amories to certain states (they are sometimes as democratic as our countries - but they are not situated in northern america or western europe - so they cannot stomp with their feets). You as civilian are not allowed to to - but big companies still do it using 3rd party assistants. Secret services use it too to have controles "situations" in other countries... But... I know, as long as you live in a country, you have to accept its rules (or try to change them...uhmmhm yes...).

So you Americans are proud to are not able to sell a software to a specific country - so to avoid that your old best friends but now most hated people are able to program their own "training software" ... hmm I somehow am getting sick now. Maybe that bad bad terrorists are even illegally copying software...

@game trailer:
This does not look "AAA", it looks "A". The graphics somehow reminded me to trailers from the last generations of consoles or GTA4. Especially the shadow of the jumping dude (sun from the top right, shadow down to the left) - why was that so sharp edged? Did one even think about good looking shadows? In reality you only have really visible shadows with a strong shining sun - else you just get up to nothing plus a bit of darker nuances.
The environment looks "dull" and uninspired (flat, less details, blocky...).
The scene with the top-view on a landscape looked really nice.

Nethertheless, it looks way more impressive than things I am able to do but it has a taste of "aged" instead of "top notch". Sure you can use that as a reference title but there is surely enough air on top for improvement (games, not your engine which I haven't tested or checked).

bye
Ron

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#12]
So you Americans are proud to are not able to sell a software to a specific country

Last time I checked, your country also voted for UN sanctions against most of the countries that have sanctions on them.

Since our country has clearly taken a page out of your country's history and gone rogue against its citizens, I am glad that Josh has something in place to cover his ass should the government come snooping or suddenly change the rules and apply them retroactively.

(or try to change them...uhmmhm yes...)

That can only happen in a free country.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#13]
[quote]or suddenly change the rules and apply them retroactively.[quote]

The US constitution explicitly prohibits retro-active laws (Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#14]
The US constitution explicitly prohibits retro-active laws (Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3)

Since when does the US government adhere to the constitution?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#15]
I think you guys are going way off topic. Pretty rude, TBH.

The game isn't my kind of game, but it does look very impressive!

Derron(Posted 2013) [#16]

Last time I checked, your country also voted for UN sanctions against most of the countries that have sanctions on them.

_you_ were glad to hear about the sanctions, that is "you Americans". To discuss why "I" am not able to change the behaviour of our government will get way more offtopic than a discussion about selling/import/export sanctions (which may be computer/software affine :D).

Since our country has clearly taken a page out of your country's history and gone rogue against its citizens

I am not sure if I got that wrong but that sounded a bit like "you bad bad Germans got rescued by us". If that is the case: just read about the historical process and you will see at what time the Americans got active and how they behaved before making nice profit of the "european" war.
If I mistakingly understood your phrase wrong than please calm down and take my excuse hereby.
But for all countries (does not matter if they only have one political party, two parties or a faked real democracy with multiple parties) the same thing matters: the winner decides what is legal or not. It is just "our" way of living which makes other things inacceptable for us. Just imagine getting born in another part of the world with other countries saying that your way of living is the wrong one. Nice thing.

So I think there will be hundreds of thousands of people not having a problem with the storyline of some games while others have because it is versus their own way of living.

bye
Ron

PS:
@big10p:
sorry for the offtopic but sometimes we humans are unnatural enforced to answer to others as they do not want the others opinion to be the "last word" to a topic. If that topic is of interest we could open up a new thread about sanctions concerning software. Better an semi-intelligent discussion about such things than about the newest youtube-video.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#17]
_you_ were glad to hear about the sanctions/quote]

News to me. Never claimed that. I am only glad that Josh is protecting himself against any potential issues with a corrupt government.

[quote]I am not sure if I got that wrong but that sounded a bit like "you bad bad Germans got rescued by us".

Never said anything of the sort. I am implying the US government is now the most corrupt and evil government in the history of the world.

the winner decides what is legal or not.

Does not happen in the US. There is no "winner" since you can't vote for the leaders of the country. The SCOTUS have the final say in everything and the judges are appointed, not elected. Votes have always been worthless in the US.

as they do not want the others opinion

I am not sure you making up things I never said qualifies as your opinion? I guess you need to do that when you have nobody to argue an opposing view with and you are trying to start an argument where one does not exist. But you are arguing with yourself as I am a non-interventionist Libertarian and 100% against any sanction on another country and meddling in the affairs of another country.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#18]
Looks pretty impressive.

Josh, are they using Max to code the game as well?

Derron(Posted 2013) [#19]
@Gary

Like said I might get things wrong as my mother tongue isn't English so especially idioms might get translated incorrect by me or online tools.

So: sorry if I "attacked" you.

@winner decides: especially the winner of a war declares legality of the done things, so I did not mean that specificially inner-politics-only.

I am only glad that Josh is protecting himself against any potential issues with a corrupt government.

And I said, that this is in many cases no "protecting" but just a thing the 3rd party service (eg. the payment-system) has included already. So it is no active limitation from the company trying to sell their product but the one of the assistant they use to ease the whole selling process. This isn't meant as a attack to that companies. Nobody has to know all things (therefor eg. lawyers exist) - but everybody is responsible for things he does (exceptions given in your countries Civil Law Code).

@WhyOWhy:
If they use BlitzMax - they could even write here to - which would be a nice addition. But somehow I doubt it...

bye
Ron

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#20]
Game looks great!

The US government doesn't have to follow its own laws even when its caught violating its own laws. Any citizen turning in the US government for breaking its own laws is also illegal. (snowden)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#21]
I find it incredibly strange that this got into a discussion of ITAR.

The game looks amazing to me.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2013) [#22]
Impressive !

popcade(Posted 2013) [#23]
This game uses shaders?

The 3D models are pretty common like those bought from online, but the shaders makes them looks a lot better.