Pawn Level 1...

Community Forums/Showcase/Pawn Level 1...

Yue(Posted 2013) [#1]

I started to develop the first level, I hope it's something simple, but at this point in development, I'm tired mentally.

In this implementation show shadows (Dynamic shadow maps)

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm tired mentally.

Don't give up.

1) The story is the thread that connects your levels. If your game has no story, you won't get involved in making it.

2) Once you have an interesting story, you can 'derive' situations from it to use in your levels.

3) Once you have a clever design for your level you can start producing it.
You may want to add more variety to the way your platforms are arranged. In a straight line like that it may get boresome.

Also, to have a level be really polished and fun to play, you need to first block it out and then test the flow of it, test how you play it.
Once you have the scale and design in place from blocking-out, proceed to do the fine modelling and texturing so it has a nice presentation.
This concept is called 'White-Boxing':
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/level_design_tutorials/art_of_blocking_in_your_map.php

While you're blocking out and play-testing your level, there's a point in that article that's really important:

As you run around you will start noticing what is working and what is not.

Write it down.
Write everything down. Take some notes and go back in the editor refining things.

I guarantee that at this stage you will be moving things around and adjusting. Its just a part of the process.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#3]
@Kryzon
Thank you for your comment encourages me to continue, I must accept that I am an amateur and I have had to learn from trial and error, but I will not give up. The drawback is that it is really chaotic when you get to do everything, model, program, verify, test, and very much appreciate your comment and I will apply.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#4]

Ok, I release development version Pawn v. 07 [beta], which shows a small sketch of like entering a level using the Start button and make changes to the configuration options.

You can move freely around the small level of free form.

Now I will focus on the game logic Kryzon guided by my friend and then continue with this level modeling.

A greeting.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?654t91bei9h3mw1

virtlands(Posted 2013) [#5]
I downloaded your recent mediafire file: Pawn v. 07 [ Beta ].7z

My Winrar stalls on that file and can't open it.

Is is possible to get a different zip format?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#6]
hi, Virtlands, here z-zip: http://7-zip.com.mx/

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yue>>Ok i have tried your demo, it seems to work properly, it looks ok.
But how am i supposed to start the game and to control the character ? I have only managed to control the camera "free look".

Also what is the bump effect on the walls ? Is this made with FastExt ?
It seems the parts of the wall in the shadows are lighted because of this effect. A small detail, but i wanted to tell you.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#8]

Yue>>Ok i have tried your demo, it seems to work properly, it looks ok.

I appreciate your comments and encourages me to continue on the project.

But how am i supposed to start the game and to control the character ? I have only managed to control the camera "free look".

The development version 8.0 aims to work in the control of the character. They jump from one platform to another, to walk and then some.

Truth be long, but the idea is to make a small level and like a puzzle slowly hopefully put together a video game.

Also what is the bump effect on the walls ? Is this made with FastExt ?

Itīs DirectX7 Blitz3D.

It seems the parts of the wall in the shadows are lighted because of this effect. A small detail, but i wanted to tell you.

It's?

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#9]
Yes this is what i meant. This is not really important but it is a weird behavior of light ;)

virtlands(Posted 2013) [#10]
I ran the Pawn v.07

I like the Pawn music a lot. Enjoyed hearing it play over and over.
The slowly moving windmill matched the mood of the game.

The only glitch is that none of the buttons worked. I don't know why.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#11]

Yue(Posted 2013) [#12]
Test ragdoll.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
Ok, look. This isn't a game, is it? It seems like all you're doing is making a basic scene with a couple of very crude models, and piling in as many effects as you can to disguise the fact that there's no game there; ragdoll physics, mirrors/reflections, wobbly bits of glass, shadows and god knows what else, doesn't make a game.

I'm NOT telling you to quit coding (before anybody says it), but if you want to make an actual game then you're going to have to make a massive change. I really would not continue on this project in its current direction.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#14]
You're right, making a game is very ambitious for me personally is to me is a big thing, what happens is that it could make a 2D game would be easier, but all I do is spend time, learn and try to improve learning. I'm actually a fan.

For example, a critical question in the ragdoll happens is that the death of the character from a building is the root bone in the place of death and the character falls but the camera vacuum sige the character, but not being the mother bone together with the mesh, the character disappears.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#15]

I completed the ragdoll effect on the character, I must say that every time you repeat an exercise is improved and this is the best rag doll I could do, has been a struggle with blender trying to understand the origin of the central objects .

: D

The next step is to implement a free camera and the character move between platforms.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#16]
:D

Yue(Posted 2013) [#17]

Yue(Posted 2013) [#18]
is released development version 0.8. This still is not a game, just a prototype of what I can do and quite possibly become a video game.

New in this release:

- Ragdoll effect the death of the character: This effect starts when the vacuum character falls from a platform, or if you kill the character with the arrow keys above the keyboard.

- Character Movement: The character is able to move between the different platforms, space key to jump, W and S key to move forward and backward, with mouse camera is set free to look in different directions, with the right mouse button and mouse moviento establishing the Zoom.

- New items in the ecenario: electricity poles, buildings etc..

-Correcions of errors: Many, every time you are doing something more errors, such arrangement is in dark faces not lift the bump map.

For version 0.9:

- Inventory: Expected to make a small inventory, which is activated by pressing I, the lead character on his back campaign suitcase soldier.

- Correct the collision system: I want to correct the character's collision system, so that your legs are not in the walls.

- Standing on the edge of the platform: The character wobble if on the edge of the platform off balance.

- Interaction: The character will have to interact with an object on the Stage, for example take a box and take it away, or give it a kick.

Greetings.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/35tfhf9uc22gts6/WOBCZo8689/Pawn%20V.08.rar

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#19]
I have tried your demo, some comments, some suggestions :

bad :
->apparently the movement, rotations, animations are not done according to time, so on my computer it is slow and diffcult to play and to appreciate.
->when the user stops to press the key forward, why the character keep sliding forward ? It is weird, it looks like a car or a ball slowing down. Same thing when the character lands on the ground.
->the collisions are not done the best way, the character can start to fall in the empty space and if it is near enough a platform, he is able to climb the wall in some way and to go back on he platform.

Suggestions :
To improve the collisions detection and the behavior of the character, you can use a 2 step collisions detection :
->one linepick from the top of the character to below to detect where is the ground, with this, if a pickable mesh has been hit, you know where is the ground, if not either there is no ground or the character is too high above the ground.
->one or several colliders sphere to detect where are the walls and obstacles, with this if a collision happened you know where to reposition the character or you can use a collider with a response slide and let blitz3d reposition the character.

good :
->you seem to like to make menu, even if it is not important when the game is not finished, but at least you have a menu
->you have managed to create a full scene with static meshes, skinned animated meshes, textures, some effects, and the graphics are ok, this means you have some skills in this area, and i am sure you will keep improving them.

In my opinion, you should decrease the amount of time you spend working on special effects and graphics and increase the amount of time you spend working on controls and gameplay.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#20]
I have tried your demo,

I love the style you have implemented - your menus are great, which is no small fry to implement in itself.

when the user stops to press the key forward, why the character keep sliding forward ? It is weird, it looks like a car or a ball slowing down. Same thing when the character lands on the ground.

This effect5 would be good if it was all a 'snow' land. Although I do like the textures you have used and the method of control you have implemented.

I for one am impressed by what you have produced so far and hope you can manage to move forward with some of RemiD's suggestions.

It can be hard for an indie to lose motivation, but keep up the good work!

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#21]
Good news is that your code scales correctly to a very low spec machine. On this old rig I tested it got at best 18-20 FPS. The entire thing ran slow but playable. Graphics looked nowhere near the quality of the screenshots but that's because of my old Geforce card.

I had trouble with the menus could you do an English version in the future? :)

I think the forward momentum is an intended effect. Remember Mario or simple platform games? But I do agree you may need to decrease the effect a bit because it does feel slippery. The demo also ate up 101 megs of video ram is this right? It seems a quite high considering I ran everything in low resolution.

virtlands(Posted 2013) [#22]
Interesting music and sky effects, yet the program runs very slow on my laptop;
It's overwhelmed by the graphics, I guess.
Apparently I won't be able to run the finished version either.

I'm starting to think that you should just focus on a 2D game.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#23]
Another suggestion related to the comment of VirtLands :
Instead of asking the user what level of quality he wants (low, medium, high), ask him what kind of effects he wants to activate or desactivate. (shadows, depth of field, glow, bloom, reflections, bump), this way depending on the machine the user has, he can configure really precisely the effects and activate only those who are compatible with his machine.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#24]

I'm starting to think that you should just focus on a 2D game.

I agree because he would get his game out quicker than his 3D current project!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#25]
To me this is just spam...glad you're making progress dude, but do we really have to get a new screen shot every 10 seconds? Go play, make some REAL progress - then come back! A lot of us are working behind the scenes...this just seems like attention seeking.

At least the guy with the dead dog game...had a 'game' to show every 10 seconds, not a menu.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#26]

make some REAL progress - then come back! A lot of us are working behind the scenes...this just seems like attention seeking.

I agree with this, a worklog is probably a better approach to share progress with the interested persons.
However there is no way to post comments on a worklog, and sometimes i think that it is good to read what people think about the game, even if it is not finished.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#27]

and sometimes i think that it is good to read what people think about the game, even if it is not finished.

...or started ;)

Lava89(Posted 2013) [#28]
This looks awesome! Really like the style of the lamps and buildings!

stayne(Posted 2013) [#29]
I get an error upon launch: Error Nro. Or something like that. Oh well.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#30]
Thank you all for the comments, and to NostalgicAlgorithms, I can say that the menu allows switching between two languages ​​English and Spanish.

Well I can say ... Thus glance at a minimum application requires 512 ram and a dual processor.

What to make a video game I think is a great expectation and very impossible to achieve for a person, so my pleasure is to learn how to do one thing and the other is to gain knowledge, so I can compare which fills a crossword .

On the advice I have given you are very sensitive, because we always have something to improve and correct.

But over time I realized that this is just a hobby, perhaps one day create a video game.

Why not 2D? why not enjoy it as much as in 3D.

Greetings.