Concept Engine Beta Release

Community Forums/Showcase/Concept Engine Beta Release

Nack(Posted 2013) [#1]
I haven't posted in this forum in awhile. I am back in releasing my latest work for everyone to try.

Concept is a module-based game engine that is designed for developing 2.5D games. The philosophy of Concept is to allow users to quickly bring their game concept to working prototypes in the least amount of time without the need for heavy back end coding. Through the reusability of modules, users can craft their ideal game type in bringing their ideas to life. Concept is written in Blitz3D and powered by BriskVM for scripts.

Sample game created with Concept Engine

Above is an example of what Concept is capable of achieving. You can download the sample game above at the end of this post.

Concept is aimed towards both simple and advance users alike. For simple users, who are just starting out in game development, can take advantage of pre-made modules and focus in scripting game events in developing their games. For advance users, they will be able to develop their own modules that go beyond existing game functionality. (This functionality is not included in the beta, but it is already implemented)

Please give it a try and let me know what you guys think! If you have any questions, please post here! I might have miss some information in this post.

I included a sample game created within Concept below. The Engine itself can be found in the download section of my website below as well.

Download Links:
Sample Game Standalone

Concept Engine Website

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looks really impressive!

Addi(Posted 2013) [#3]
The Example does not work for me:
"Userlib not found" Exception ;(

Nack(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks for trying. Which example are you referring to? The standalone sample game? or the engine itself?

I tried to run both and I cannot recreate the issue. Anyone else experience similar problem?

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hi Nack, what are you using for textures? IIRC you're using RPGMaker tilesets, right?

Nack(Posted 2013) [#6]
That reminds me. Yes that's correct. I only coded the engine, the texture is purely used as examples.
I believe I started out with RM tileset, but the one from the sample is a user-made one I found on a forum.

Addi(Posted 2013) [#7]
Im getting this problem at both.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#8]
I have tried your demo. It seems to work correctly.
I think the controls are easy enough to understand and to use and the graphics are ok. (but not yours apparently)

I have 2 suggestions :
Ability to rotate the camera manually
When a message with several choices is displayed, it would be better or a good alternative to be able to select and then to valid by pressing return.

That's all, well done ! :)

Nack(Posted 2013) [#9]
@Addi. That is odd as RemiD didn't have same issue. What windows version are you running at? I can try to recreate it under the same environment.

@RemiD
Thanks for trying and comments. :) What you suggested can be implemented by the end-user if they wish. This is what I refer to game-features. The sample game is by no-mean of what the engine is restricted to. The users can script any game-features such as controls, camera rotation, input design etc.

You can even rewrite the entire game structure through custom modules. See below for an battle modules I was working on couple yrs ago.

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated! :)

Jason W.(Posted 2013) [#10]
Very nice.

I like the 3d tiling, but I'm not a fan of artwork and final fantasy combat.

I could see a 3d roguelike out of this.

Jason

Addi(Posted 2013) [#11]
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit