Mutant Monty remake released.

Community Forums/Showcase/Mutant Monty remake released.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#1]
Upadated to make the game select the current desktop rez. New download below.

Download Here!

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#2]
Let me know of any bugz.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi

I downloaded and tried to run your game. as soon as I opened the MutantMonty.exe file, I got a MAV error before the game could launch. :(

Windows XP 32 bit
Intel Celeron M 1.40GHz w/ 90MB 915GM mobile graphics.
2GB DDR2

EDIT: When I set compatibility to Windows98/ME or Windows 95, it works. Running with NT or 2000 settings or without compatibility mode, it crashes in error.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#4]
Does other Blitz3D stuff run on your machine?, if it does then this should be running. :-/

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#5]
yes but it only runs with compatibility settings. it is hard to get past the first level. is there a way to make the aliens move slower? they look like aliens to me. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#6]
If I make them slower then the game would be pretty boring. The easiest way to get past level 1 would be to follow the bottom alien, duck into the hole after grabbing the gold from the bottom and then work your way in that same direction.

The speed of the aliens can be changed if you edit the files in the "levels" folder (there are speed labels in the alien scripts), but trust me, it will be boring if you slow it down.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#7]
If you notice, Monty will run faster if you hold-down a direction key for about 1 second, tapping in a different direction will reset the speed. It's a simple "tap" to change direction and move slow.

Tip... You can press against a nearby wall to stop moving. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#8]
I just managed to get as far as level 34 before carking-it. :D

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#9]
I have shoved it into an installer package now, I will also sticky the link up top of this topic.

Download as installer pakage

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#10]
@CaptainWicker:
If you want to see what the game was really like download a ZX Spectrum Emulator (FUSE is a good one) and a tzx file from the World Of Spectrum site.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#11]
The Amstrad version, which this remake is based on; is quite different in terms of movement to the Spectrum and Commodore versions, it would be a good idea to download WinAPE to see how the original one played.

Also download versions for the Spectrum and Commodore to appreciate how the Amstrad version had more of an arcady feel to it. ;)

therevills(Posted 2013) [#12]
Just downloaded it... looks just like the original! :)

Is it me or the movement isn't that smooth?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
Game seems to run. I hear sound, but no picture. Sends my monitor "out of range". Dunno what res you're using, but it doesn't like it.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#14]
@GfK:
It just selects the highest resolution for the PC and everything is scaled to fit, the sprite, tile and bitmap text is then simply worked out as: (position unscaled / screensize unscaled) * actual screensize + screen position. If that makes any sense. ;)

Are you using Avast by any chance?, I had that same problem with Blitz3D stuff until I changed the sandbox settings.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#15]
Are you using Avast by any chance?
Christ, no! What do you take me for?!

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#16]
@therevills:
It's a bit of a weird scenario there, it ran smooth as silk most of the way through development but then got more kind of jerky towards the end when I added the title and demo screens. It seems OK when there's not much HDD activity going on.

It seems to move in an acceptable manner, in a retro kind of way, so I'm not worried about that too much. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#17]
GfK:

OOPS!. :D

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#18]
I will be releasing the B3D source once this game has gone around the web a bit, some issues may be spotted from there unless I manage to get to the bottom of compatability issues before that time.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#19]
Just took a 'screenshot' when the monitor went off, to find out what res it was at.

It's choosing 2048x1536, which is supported by my graphics card, but not my monitor (highest my monitor supports is 1680x1050).

You can never rely on drivers giving you accurate information for exactly this reason (my drivers are correct and up to date). So I'd go for either the desktop resolution, a common 'safe' resolution like 1024x768, or running in windowed mode.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#20]
I also need to try another method of handling player input, I am aware that some issues exist with key clashing. I will probably end up storing key diretions in an array for each update loop instead of the standard KeyDown() method that it currently uses.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#21]
Thanx for the tip Dave, I will put a patch in later that allows the resolution to be over-ridden by editing "config.ini".

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#22]
Jayenkai also suggested something earlier, give the option of a windowed mode. I will plonk that in there too.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#23]
Find the current resolution and set that for the game, since the user is currently using that resolution you can't go wrong :-)

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#24]
@GfK:
There ya go, try this one for now. ;)
Monty 1024 x 768

therevills:
Find the current resolution and set that for the game, since the user is currently using that resolution you can't go wrong :-)

How do I do that in Blitz3D, is there a system call?, and if so can you tell me. :D

I've only ever used standard commands, I'm not that advanced if you get what I mean. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#25]
I'm using this method to set the resolution at the moment.

Global gInt_gfxWidth = GfxModeWidth(CountGfxModes())
Global gInt_gfxHeight = GfxModeHeight(CountGfxModes())

Graphics gInt_gfxWidth, gInt_gfxHeight

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#26]
Man I do love to experiment, I just discovered that the method for detecting the current desktop width is as simple as Graphics 0, 0. :D

GfK(Posted 2013) [#27]
Pretty good. Hard as hell, though!

Didn't make it beyond level 2!

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#28]
Can you test this one for me? pleeeaaase. This time I have used Graphics 0, 0 to set to the desktop rez.

Download Here!

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#29]
GfK:
Pretty good. Hard as hell, though!

Didn't make it beyond level 2!

Glad you like it. Keep trying, you will get the hang of it.

Tip: Press against any scenery you are running alonside to stop the character or press [SPACE] to pause the game. ;)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#30]
Can you test this one for me? pleeeaaase. This time I have used Graphics 0, 0 to set to the desktop rez.
Works fine.

Glad you like it. Keep trying, you will get the hang of it.
Doubt it, that's about as far as I ever got as a kid!

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#31]
Cheers for testing that Dave.

I also had trouble with level 2 as a kid, but I then suddenly got the hang of it when I tried again a couple of months later.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#32]
Are you using Avast by any chance?

I use Avast on my home computer (iMac with Win8). :P

I installed WinAPE and ran the dsk file with the original Mutant Monty. It looks exactly the same! :D

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#33]
CaptainWicker:
It looks exactly the same!

Exactly the same in looks, apart from the wires on the elevators being solid; but this is a lot faster than the original. :D