Wave hardware and fx

Community Forums/Showcase/Wave hardware and fx

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#1]
This shows both the software and hardware fo vjo wave.

The hardware is about 20 years old and has had the entire motherboard replaced with a new custom arduino board, plus new lcd and 5 additional knobs. It directly connects via usb.
(if you look really closely you can just make out the edge of the original maker logo - anyone hazard a guess)

One of the sequencer pages (pattern) is also shown.
This shows 32 sub voices with their note data, colour and groupings. in the lower half you can see the volume faders for each sub voice and the transport controls.

Currently there is no MIDI, but the module is already finished and has full midi learn built directly into the ui.

All BlitzMax with no external vst's etc

Next up is the fx page:

Still in development (as I add extra features). It shows the fx page of Wave showing some of the pre-made effects and the 8 fx slots

I'm going to add fx routings later, at the moment each sub voice is routed into all 8 fx units

Chalky(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looking amazing - very professional GUI. Is this Mac only?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#3]
yep - mac only I am afraid.

In theory the GUI can be ported as it's just code.

The sound system is heavily modified though and would take a lot of time to deal with as well the osx specific window controls.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#4]
Very impressive looking, great work.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#5]
I've got a whole load of images detailing the dev process of each page. currently dealing with hardware and saving of files

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#6]
Really impressive project... and I'm going for Fairlight as original maker, not that I'm familiar with the gear in any way!

Is the intention that you'll sell the software along with plans for building the hardware?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#7]
Good question. There's not a simple answer though.

My first task is to get the software completed - it's around 94% finished now.

The hardware is also about 60% finished but some major bits still need to be completed (multiplexing keyboard and LED matrix).

I'm not sure about releasing plans for the hardware as the Fairlight MFX2 keyboards are really hard to get. In theory I could use the same system for the MFX3 versions (I believe they are identical on the inside), but again they don't come up for sale very often.

To be honest, my main thought is to get everything working and then make some music :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#8]
I can't wait to try this on my iMac! :D

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#9]
I can't wait to try this on my iMac! :D

Given the customized hardware required, it sounds like it will be for in-house music production. Awesome looking, though!

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#10]
It's actually a standard mac app with comprehensive keyboard and trackpad support.

Currently the only external hardware used is an old contour jog/shuttle that is mapped to send key presses.

The custom hardware is fully MIDI compliant - so you could use any midi device with wave or the hardware with any software (but some functions would of course not be the same)

I'm developing it with the keyboard and trackpad as the main input.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#11]
I'm developing it with the keyboard and trackpad as the main input.

Awesome.