Crowdfunding campaign of "Tompi Jones"

Community Forums/Showcase/Crowdfunding campaign of "Tompi Jones"

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#1]

Hi, Tompi Jones began his crowdfunding campaign to successfully complete the game. We used IndieGoGo in order to get funding to improve our equipment and technical means to create and testing a multiplayer mode that incorporates many interesting ideas.

You can view our Indiegogo Campaign.

Please, we need all blitz community support! Please we need you share this campaign to your friends, family, neighbors, schoolmates, work colleagues and anyone who can help.

matibee(Posted 2013) [#2]
I don't mean to be harsh but that 3d character in the main logo looks like something from an amateur game from the 1990's. I'm sure he looks just fine in-game, and the quality of your other projects shows you know your stuff, but I really think he's letting you down here -- and during an attempt at crowdfunding too.

Can't you get him hand drawn to match the smooth lines of the text? Even drawing over what you've got there, giving him a little cartoony dynamism and shading, would be a million times better IMHO.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
I don't mean to be harsh but that 3d character in the main logo looks like something from an amateur game from the 1990's. I'm sure he looks just fine in-game, and the quality of your other projects shows you know your stuff, but I really think he's letting you down here -- and during an attempt at crowdfunding too.

Can't you get him hand drawn to match the smooth lines of the text? Even drawing over what you've got there, giving him a little cartoony dynamism and shading, would be a million times better IMHO.
What he said ^^

I watched some of your video. I think it's very ill thought out. You don't need to be telling people your money has run out. You also don't need to tell them you're only working on the game in your spare time (or however it was that you put it).

To put a more positive spin on it, I like the game (as platformers go). And I also like your hippopotamus curtains. They're win.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi, thanks for your comment.
@ matibee: The logo of the game will probably change in the future. I want to create a render that improves their quality.
@ Gfk: It's possible that our approach to the campaign is wrong and we may not get many results, but we have wanted to be honest with our reality. You think that when we requested help with crowdfunding, people understand that money is run out or is not enough. Simply we express this in the video. Also keep in mind that we have been duped with IFK2 bundle which had 2 our games. Glad you like the curtains!

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#5]
You don't need to be telling people your money has run out. You also don't need to tell them you're only working on the game in your spare time (or however it was that you put it).

But he needs to establish context. What is your suggestion for a better campaign appeal?

matibee(Posted 2013) [#6]
You don't need to be telling people your money has run out. You also don't need to tell them you're only working on the game in your spare time (or however it was that you put it).

I'll readily admit that my gamedev endeavors amount to pretty much nothing, however my business and career progress has seen me reach, and continue to push successfully, well into areas beyond my expertise. So take it as you might, but my impression of your campaign is that it has far too many negatives. "Stung by facekick", "have to use our spare time", "limited funding"... well blah blah, every man and his dog has sob stories. I felt quite depressed by your video when I should have been left feeling like I wanted to donate.

On a positive note, I really like your humbleness. The shot of you in front of two screens with the curtains drawn sums up your indie work ethic really well (it's daytime, too bright for coding so we have to shut the curtains. We work at home, not in fancy offices funded by some EU grant...) And another positive - you know what you are doing, you are accomplished developers.

So really, drop all the negativity. You won't get backers out of sympathy for your plight -- look at the lengths legitimate charities have to go to to raise funds, and shit, they're promising to cure cancer! Offer people a fun and full-on gaming experience that they can be part of, that's all you have -- so it has be enough.

Build on the positives: a great game design, a proven track record, a dedicated team that works flat out, an almost finished game... I'm sure you can find many more.

Last but not least, good luck man :)

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#7]
the lengths legitimate charities have to go to to raise funds, and shit, they're promising to cure cancer!

If you pull the tax records of most of those self-proclaimed legitimate charities, you will find most are not legitimate and just shakedown scam organizations. Money comes in, but never goes out.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#8]
Hey Luis, matibee has some good points and is definitely trying to help. I would also be willing to go through your text and clean up the English for you if you send me a doc and maybe you can redo it and get it off the ground.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks for your well-intentioned advice.
@Why0Why: I appreciate your help with my text. Send me an email to admin@... and I will send you the text. Thanks!!!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#10]
Really like this project, clearly a lot of work has gone into it. But I've said before if only the visuals were tidied up...I kinda agree with the negative vibe you give in the video too. And yes some English errors.

The main character needs a lot of work. He's like a red pacman from the eighties! Come on guys lol. This has a lot of potential gameplay wise though.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#11]
I see this game with a lot of potential, if you could just hire a good graphics artist, that game would be awesome.

I hope this doesn't sound to blunt or offensive just saying what I think but just based on the graphics I wouldn't buy it. I don't like the character, some of the graphics combination don't integrate well with the rest of the game in my opinion. I think that the low poly character for the banner is a bit of a turn of. just by looking at it I didn't want to see the video. I don't know if that banner is going to be part of the actual game but I think you should get rid of it. I don't know how many will agree and it's just my personal opinion which may or may not be general opinion.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#12]
The game looks good to me. I contributed.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#13]
I enjoyed the Tompi Jones Demo on Desura, but the lag and low fps is just plain awful! Radeon 6770M 512MB :(

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hi,
@JoshK: thanks very much for you contribution!!!

@Why0Why: I sent you an email with the text for clean up the horible English. Thanks very much!!

When we have then english clean text we will try to modify the video and the campaign to reduce the negative feelings that seem to produce.

Like I said the logo/banner is not definitive. We will work in the game character and we will improve this image.

@CaptainWicker: your lag and low fps is strange for me. I play"Tompi Jones" with my old computer without problems. Do you have the same problem with other Blitz program? Have you tried other demos mine, as "Arkhelom 3D"?

JustLuke(Posted 2013) [#15]
I think that Tompi looks promising but, due to the amateurish and unappealing presentation, I wouldn't contribute to it.

If you can't meet an acceptable modern standard of graphic design and implementation, perhaps you should adopt a simpler, more abstract graphical approach to the game. Seriously, you need to hire artists to remodel/re-texture/visually redesign your environments and characters because you can't do it yourself. This is not an insult - you just need to identify your weaknesses (we all have them) and get help from people who have the skills/talents that you lack.

Fatally, your Tompi character appears poorly designed, poorly modelled and glitchy. And his facial expression is extremely repulsive. I mean, what's with the crazy eyes, Austin Powers teeth and obnoxious sticky-outy tongue? When I look at him, I think, "flasher in the park" rather than "wacky, fun-loving chap".

Returning to your graphical approach in general again, some might say something along the lines of "But, but, but *insert name of successful retro-style game or old time classic* doesn't have great graphics!", to which I would probably reply, "Actually, it does, it has decent looking retro-style/dated presentation."

My point is this, whatever graphical style that you're going for, 2d or 3d, AAA, retro or something in between, you must achieve a certain level of quality and appeal if you wanting people to invest in it.

Having said all of the above, your video shows some fun gameplay mechanics and levels, which suggests that Tompi Jones has a great deal of untapped potential.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#16]
About 10 hours ago we updated the video and the text of the campaign, eliminating all the negatives that produced bad feelings and clean up our english. We also believe that now is much better. Thank you Why0Why and participants of this forum for your help!

@JustLuke: Thank you for your honesty. It's true, we need contract a graphic artist, but this is not possible. We also recognize that some graphics could be improved and we are working on it. Tompi may even suffer modifications to improve him.

We are pleased to achieve some fun gameplay mechanics and a game with potential. We will keep working hard to improve it.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#17]
This is an M&M
This is an M&M on drugs.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#18]
I'd like to see a little more support and less criticism. This is one of the best Blitz3D games I've ever seen.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#19]
Hello, after your constructive criticism addressed to our 3d model of Tompi, we are discussing the possibility of giving a new look to Tompi. We thought of giving human aspect. Another possibility would be to keep the original character and provide it with greater detail. What do you think is better?
This would be the new character(low poly):

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#20]
Do you have the same problem with other Blitz program?

no
Have you tried other demos mine, as "Arkhelom 3D"?

I sure plan to! Ur games are awesome! :D

EDIT:
tried Arkhelom3D and there was no lag at all.
Just tried Breakout Invaders (Yahoo version) and it seems has a lower framerate than Arkhelom3D. Is there an English version somewhere? The one I downloaded looks like it is in Spanish. :/

JustLuke(Posted 2013) [#21]
I think that you should keep the cartoon style, Luis.

If you can create a superior (better modelling and texturing) version of your existing Tombi - minus the teeth, tongue and thick eyebrows and with less crazy eyes - then you'll be on the right track. Basically, make a more friendly, memorable and appealing cartoon-style Tombi.

Going more realistic will only highlight your art weaknesses, I think. Take your inspiration from the old 2d Mario games and other cute, bright cartoon-style platform games.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#22]
I think that you should keep the cartoon style, Luis.

what he said! :)

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#23]
Ok, thanks, we will create a superior version of Tompi keeping the cartoon style.

CaptainWicker[IS]: In all our games you can select language in "Options Menu". By default the langauge is english. Breakout Invaders have some levels with more blocks and fps may vary depending the level you play, but slightly.

I'd like to see a little more support and less criticism. This is one of the best Blitz3D games I've ever seen.

@Josh: thanks very much

Although, in the future I would like to create "Tompi Jones 2" with the help of a good graphic designer and some programmers of Blitz3D community who have been able to develop and complete a good game. The objective would be to create the best Blitz3D game.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#24]
Luis de la Cruz>>I think the graphics are original, but i think the shapes of some meshes and the colors of some textures are not coherent with your world.

For example, if you decide to use a mario64 graphic style, the shapes of the meshes and the colors of the textures must all blend nicely with the others meshes and textures, else it seems that some entities are not part of the world.

We can see this inconsistency in your last screenshot, there are some realistic textures with many colors and some unrealistic (or blured ?) textures with only a few colors.

Also some of the ennemies in your game seem to be from another world, maybe because some shapes are too detailed compared to the hero.

I suggest to use an graphic style similar to mario64 or to this game :
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99208
(3 colors per material), it will be less work for you and it will probably blend better.

Apart from that, the gameplay seems very good. Well done !

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#25]

I agree it looks a good game. For me personally I'd like you guys to make some money from it - that's why it deserves a little extra polish on the graphics side :)

As for the main character, he reminds me a little of Crash Bandicoot, so I would use that as a reference point - obviously change the animal features to human.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#26]
This is one of the best Blitz3D games I've ever seen.

I agree, it looks awesome.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#27]
I like the look of this game too but the Tomato needs to look less fierce. ;)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#28]
Nah that's what happens when you use 7up as a mixer.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#29]
Thanks for your good comments about the game.

It is true that sometimes the graphic style is somewhat incoherent, but is too laborious remodel everything. We've been mixing elements in the scenarios without a professional graphic designer and we can not expect better results. Right now, without raising funds for the development of the game, it will be difficult to change everything. If we get funding then we will do serious changes in this direction.

One decision we have taken is remodel our hero. We decided to go with the cartoon style but with a more humanized look. Soon we hope to show some pictures.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#30]
I think the graphic style is fine. You just need to finish and ship it.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#31]
Thanks JoshK. Yes, we will finish the game.
We have tried to polish some details of Tompi but the results do not like us. We are still working on it.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#32]
this would succeed the first day were it on KS, too bad you can't use KS. Don't you have family in the USA with a bank account maybe?

No one likes indiegogo the rate of success is poor... sorry.

hub(Posted 2013) [#33]
i've registered the game. It's good for me. A lot of work have done. You should finish it. Just improve some gfx if you can and gameplay. You should keep the cartoon style.

note : i've not a middle mouse bouton on my laptop computer.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#34]
I contributed. I know that there are some other Blitzers interested in this.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#35]
Every time I read comments from people who are experts on the subject, I realize that I'll always be a fan and I have much to learn and learn as much as possibly be an intellectual corpse.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#36]
Thanks very much Eric (Why0Why). I really appreciate your contribution to the project. I am preparing the latest "Arkhelom 3D" version to send it to you and JoshK (other contributor).

Also, in a few days I will have available the latest version of "Tompi Jones" and I will send you both.

Hi Yue, we all have much to learn. I've seen your work with the menus of your game and is very good.

Best regards

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#37]
Sorry this didn't get the needed funding. The gameplay looked really solid. Any news?

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2013) [#38]
Unfortunately we have not secured funding. The campaign has been useless. We are very unhappy with the Indiegogo system (Indiegogo factor). If we do not have a family or group of friends who contribute to the onset of the campaign then Indiegogo hides the project in his website. The visibility of the project is null and then funding fails.

We have continued to work on the project, especially in the multiplayer mode. We have decided to sacrifice some things like the levels editor. But we expect to complete the project in the best way possible.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#39]
Unfortunately we have not secured funding. The campaign has been useless. We are very unhappy with the Indiegogo system (Indiegogo factor). If we do not have a family or group of friends who contribute to the onset of the campaign then Indiegogo hides the project in his website. The visibility of the project is null and then funding fails.
I'm not sure it's fair to blame Indiegogo. There were problems which were highlighted from the outset.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#40]

Don't be a crybaby. It is your job to promote the listing at Indiegogo. How many press releases have you put out? How many interviews have you done? How many ads have you put out for the listing? You can't blame Indiegogo when you are too ashamed of your own project to put the necessary time and effort into promoting it if you are seeking crowd funding. If you don't believe in your own project, nobody else is going to believe in it.

I am with JoshK, stick to your original design and do not listen to the folks in this thread. The changes you made here:

http://blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=100310&post=1183624

would literally kill your project. By changing the main character, you would lose what made your game unique and stand out. You would have a mind-numbingly boring character that exudes no personality and would not get an emotional investment from the player. With the uniqueness of your game gone, it would look like a boring Indiana Jones clone.

Josh gave you the best advice: "I think the graphic style is fine. You just need to finish and ship it."

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#41]
Stick with the tomato but make him look less fierce by not having a great big tongue sticking out. ;)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#42]
I like the tongue sticking out :-)