comments welcome

ladirecciondelru@...

thank you

Leon Drake(Posted 2013) [#2]
Pretty slick!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thank You. Still a lot of work to do...

RGF(Posted 2013) [#4]
A few instructions. Everything works more or less like in diablo or in warcraft. As you can see, I am a great fan of Blizzard games!

left mouse click: over the ground --> walk there

left mouse click when pointing a wood box, or an enemy --> attack

when a ranged weapon (bow, axe, spear) is equipped: left click will throw an arrow, or an axe, but if in melee distance, the equiped weapon will be used as a melee weapon

if caps lock, or shift down, or button activated: run

spacebar: jump, if you are running, jumps higher

alt: roll, the same as jump

ctrl: cover, if shield is equipped. Reduces damage taken

if you walk over an item, you'll automatically catch it. To drop an item, drag ir from the inventory to the ground. Money cannot be dropped.

Right click over life potion, or mana potion, or scrolls to use them.

left mouse hold: transport items, or equipment, drag and drop...

book button: open the magic tab, select magic by clicking arrows, or keyhit left and right. Also, M key shortcut.

right mouse button: cast magic. There are 15 different spells. Some spells cannot be used until they are free again. Damage taken by the players could be burned, electrified, stoned, poisoned, pushed away, or wounded

bag button: open inventory. Hover the UNFINISHED icons for a little to make an info screen appear.

eye button: open character tab, with typical rpg stats, and grids for equipment. Shortcut P.

Esc or closed eye, quit.

So far, you cant die, and mana never runs out, for testing purposes...

Sorry for the quick explanations.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2013) [#5]
any way you can put up a screenshot?

RGF(Posted 2013) [#6]
Of course, but maybe better than still images, check out youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OabYICVJLw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkMiI4MLZ2o&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/MWvfp5jAQ64

Thanks

RGF(Posted 2013) [#7]
Please, if anyone has tested the demo under windows 8, let me know. Thank You

matibee(Posted 2013) [#8]
That looks very impressive! Post it to the front page.

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#9]
WOW, great vids!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#10]
Thank you siredblood! Your game looks great... we were impressed by your dedication and artistic skills, and overall design... we share the same interest in rpgs, and your work inspired us great respect and admiration! Maybe we could share some ideas in the future!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#11]
@ matibee: Thank You, we would be honored if the Blitz team considers the app worth of mention! :)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2013) [#12]
Great looking videos, and Id like to repeat super great videos!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thank you Mainsworthy...

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#14]
Is this done in BlitzMax? Blitz3D? If BlitzMax, what engine are you using?

Looks really slick, would love to see it with enemies/battle scenes!

Edit: Oh, it's Blitz 3D.

Two things:

- player should keep moving if I keep the mouse button down. having to click over and over to make it move around is tiresome.

- I used magic (right click) and then walked while the effect was in progress... and I was hit by my own magic attack? Is that right?

RGF(Posted 2013) [#15]
Hello and many thanks for your appreciation, and for testing our demo.

Pure blitz3d. No extensions used.

Next release will include a shop, ranged weapons will work, and hopefully if our lazy artist gets inspired, objects will have their proper icons and not that irritating grey squares.

For the enemies, you will have to wait. The code is almost done. But we still dont have any models. The good news is that you will have also some friends. And maybe the tomb will be ready...

About the clicking interface: some of us think exactly the same as you. But... the enemies --and friends- need to know where you are going exactly. We use an astar pathfinding algorithm and each click calculates your path.

In this demo you get hurt by your own magic, just for testing the effects of magic (getting into a stone curse area is interesting) and for testing holy shield and invisibility: you shouldnt be hurt by magic while you are running those.

RGF(Posted 2013) [#16]
Edit to last post: I added the run feature when the testers complained about exactly the same thing you pointed out... press shift or capslock to run a little and maybe avoid getting tired of clicking. If you played diablo ii, you will find a similar gameplay in this game, even in combat scenes. Thank You for your testing!!!

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#17]
Thanks RGF, now your work inspires me, your spell effects are amazing! I have yet to make great spells like that! You gave me a higher standard to shoot for!

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#18]
I have tried your demo.
This is a good start.

A suggestion already mentionned by SLotman :
->If the left mouse button is held, the character should continue to walk to the picked destination.

Ok keep working on this, this is promising.

Bye.

*(Posted 2013) [#19]
One thing i got from the videos was the walk animation plays too fast, other than that its perfect :)

RGF(Posted 2013) [#20]
Thank You all for your time and interest!

@SLotman
@RemiD

We here think that your suggestions are quite right. Except from the main programmer, of course. The next compilation will accept mousedown(1) for continuing walking or runnig without repetitive clicking, and jumps and rolls will be allowed while mousedown(1). For technical reasons (not burning down the a* algorithms), you will have to click mouse(1) every once in a while. We would appreciate your opinion about the changes. The next demo will be ready in a few days. Thank You very much for your sense of playability.

@siredblood

Having experienced (like you also did with your work) the vast effort and amount of job and time needed to offer the public even a simple demo that runs decently, we really would like to share with you our respect and appreciation for your art. Of course, count us between your supporters and friends. Keep up the good work!

@EdzUp

Yes it is too fast. Two facts: One is that we want to keep a cartoon-like style (our reference is warcraft II graphical style). The reason is that we get lost very easily in the design of characters when things get too realistic. The second fact is that speed changes according to stats (str, dex), and as the game advances your running skills improve... Thank you for the "perfect", that cheers us up and fills our energy to continue.

Goodbye, people. As soon as the next demo is ready, we will let you know.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#21]
@RGF
A small hint: you don't have to read the mousedown(1) position and update the a* every frame - just poll it every now and then (or when the player reaches a % of the path), and update it - this should be fairly easy on the system, and I guess this is how Diablo does it.

Also, the movement speed should change on how far the user clicks. If the user click far away from the "player avatar", it will move at "top speed", if you click near, it will move slower (accelerating towards top speed, If memory serves me well, Diablo also does this).

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#22]

We here think that your suggestions are quite right.

If i remember correctly, in Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, i was able to hold the left mouse button to make the character go to the target destination, this is more confortable this way.

For technical reasons (not burning down the a* algorithms)

There are several ways to decrease A* calculation time.

->One would be to check with a linepick or with a 2D shapes intersection routine if there is an obstacle between the character and the picked point, and if there is no obstacle, make the character go directly toward the picked point without using A*.

->Another would be to use nodes positionned around obstacles instead of nodes positionned on a grid, and to precalculate the possible links between the nodes. This will considerably reduce the numbers of nodes and thus the path calculation time.

->Another would be to precalculate the commonly used paths from one zone to another zone (not sure how to implement this but it should be doable by using several triangles to store the area of a zone, i have to think about it, i may need this later)

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#23]
Hi. How are you doing the shadows?

RGF(Posted 2013) [#24]
@SLotman
That is the method we used. And of course, the further you go, the faster she moves. Until top speed is reached. Top speed is calculated as:

speeda#=(totaldexterity#/5)+45
maxspeed#=speeda#+speedmodifiers#

Acceleration is calculated as:

(totaldexterity#/20)+.2

As you can see, this depends on dexterity points.
And the faster you run, the further and higher you jump, or roll... In some scenarios jumping far and high is necessary.

Thanks!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#25]
@RemiD
Yes, you are right!. Please, feel free to test the new demo. We tried to improve it according to your suggestion.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BwSVhKovxZL2VFZBUkJiWnJlUzg&export=download

Now, when you hold down the left mouse button, and you arrive near your destination, a new click is automatically done.

Your ideas on decreasing A* calculation time were also very good, and useful for calculations that are used by the enemies and the friendly characters.

Thank You!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#26]
@Kryzon
in the simplest way: creating a camera and positioning it at entityy#(player)+amount. then cameraprojmode 2. texture all world except the shadow caster in pure white. capture image to shadowbuffer. return to normal mode, and texture a flexible mesh positioned under the girl's feet with shadowbuffer contents. faster, and old school.

by the way: the same method is used to texture the invisibility model, but we dont hide the terrain, so the mesh shows the surrounding colours.

modern shadow systems are much better, but this simple method goes quite well with the general look of the game.

thank you!

RGF(Posted 2013) [#27]
NEW DEMO READY:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BwSVhKovxZL2VFZBUkJiWnJlUzg&export=download

Wings(Posted 2013) [#28]
Under windows 8 all one get is error message.
it dosent even try to start. this just pop up.

rpg_creattor_demo (2):rpg_creatordemo (2).exe - Can not
Cant find Procedurstartadress CoCreateInstance in :\RECYCLE.BIN\1v18r024.TMP

RGF(Posted 2013) [#29]
Still working in that bug under w8. I think the packer-cruncher is not working right under w8.

virtlands(Posted 2013) [#30]
The game has amazing graphics, and I like the way the plants sway with the wind.

mkg(Posted 2013) [#31]
Had a quick play with the demo - looking really promising. Nice to see an rpg in Blitz 3D. Looking forward to the next update on this one.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#32]
The game has amazing graphics [...]

I agree. I just noticed the hand cursor and the "brick wall" interface are from Blizzard's Warcraft 3.

http://i44.tinypic.com/rbwgwl.png

RGF(Posted 2013) [#33]
The name of the program has changed to RPG Creator
Sorry for the duplicate post, but we would like to notify also in this old thread that a new demo has been released.

Second demo released. Please download at:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BwSVhKovxZL2VzY5OTAtalp3bE0&export=download

Thank You!!!

Ravl(Posted 2013) [#34]
We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know.

RGF(Posted 2013) [#35]
Sorry, it's fixed now

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#36]
great work!

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#37]
I have tested your new demo.

It looks good, it seems fun to play :), but the particles take too much time to be updated or rendered on my machine, so this is slow each time i cast a spell...
Also even without any spell, the FPS is not great, only around 15 fps, the scene does not seem complex to render. Maybe there are too many surfaces ?
Or maybe this happens because too many meshes are intersecting with others meshes ?
I suggest to try to use a single surface particle system per emitter (if it is not already done), and also to combine the static surfaces of the scene the more you can.

Apart from the performance issue, this is good. I am curious about what you will manage to do next.

RGF(Posted 2013) [#38]
@RemiD
Thank You!!
You can see by the number of tris displayed that the scene is not very complex to render. Usually under 18000.

About particles: explosions and lightnings are based on geospheres and intersecting planes, both are 3d meshes. Skulls are also low poly models.
The rest of the particles are single surfaces.

No routines of mesh intersection detection are being used. Maybe the number of particles is too high?. I am coding a counter to let us see how many are active...

By the way, two useful questions:

In the first demo: did you get also low FPS rate when using magic? We changed several things (involving A*) and the problem could be caused by other issues... not particles!

What is the number of trisrendered() in your machine?

THANK YOU RemiD

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#39]

No routines of mesh intersection detection are being used.

What i meant was that when there are too many intersecting meshes (meshes which intersects because of their proximity) it can slow down the render on some graphic cards.

In the first demo: did you get also low FPS rate when using magic? We changed several things (involving A*) and the problem could be caused by other issues... not particles!

I don't remember. Give me a link if you want.

The slowdown appears when there is an explosion after i cast a spell.

From the complexity of the scene and from the render, in my opinion it runs too slow. I am sure you can optimize it.

mkg(Posted 2013) [#40]
Still looking good. In what sense is it an RPG 'Creator'? Will players be able to create their own content such a s custom missions? Or is it intended as a game making tool?

RGF(Posted 2013) [#41]
It is indeed intended as a game making suite.
The complete suite will include a guide describing step by step how to create games.
Some features wil not be customizable, like the position for the slots in which items can be placed, of the position of the buttons... But, of course the skin of the GUI can be changed easily.
Also, some aspects of the final result will depend on one's design skills. The engine will accept any animated character in .b3d format, providing your animation frames match with the specified ranges. For the main character also the name of some bones must also match specifications, as weapons, shield, particles emitters are attached to specific bones.
There will be five different programs, at least we hope so...

1. A world creator, where you can load a terrain, and add .b3d static or animated meshes and position them, and also add water, waves, animals, vegatation or particles. Also barrels, boxes and other breakable objects wil be placed here. All this work will generate a script in .bb format.

2. A grid creator, where you can design a grid, that will be used by the A* routines and determine if a tile is walkable or not, if a tile is a "door" to another level... of course the areas grid will have to match your scenario design, otherwise you might end walking through walls or out of the 3d world. This will generate a .dat file.

3. An object creator, you will create the object and give the parameters you desire: i.e. islifepotion=1, ismanapotion=1, isweapon=1, istwohanded=1, giveshealth=10, isspell$="light", and also choose a mesh for the object. And of course the position of the object. All this work will generate a objs.bb file.

4. A player viewer, to see animated meshes and their animseqs, and number of frames, check that everything in the models look ok.

5. A trigger creator, to create triggers, i.e. give something in a specific place and a door will be opened, or destroy a wall, or kill an enemy. All this work will generate a trigger.bb file.

We are actually working with these tools to create the demos we offer you.

We would also like to include a magic creator, but it is rather complex...

Thank you for testing our demo!!!!