Game Based On Castlevania 4

Community Forums/Showcase/Game Based On Castlevania 4

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Everyone,
I have been working on this in my spare time. Not much to look at
but I can use your test playing skills and help me find bugs.
All comments good or bad welcome!! Let me have it be as blunt at possible.

Screen Shots Below (Warning Low Res Game)

Download!

Have Fun

misth(Posted 2013) [#2]
Nice work! Even tho I'm not a huge fan of CVs, this was nice. Really nice atmosphere in the game, nice musics. Really pumps you up, at least at the... boss- ....hand?

But I got to say....

....I HATE BATS!

Overall I liked the game and mechanics. Really nice!

Bugs? Nope. Don't remember if I saw any.

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#3]
@misth

Thanks for the feedback. Come to think of it I hate bats too.
Once I get the Gameplay Down, I will start to put in the cut scenes and
storyline. Will have all original content (maybe even some free stuff of the net) LOL.
I haven't pixel pushed in a long while. So hope Im not too rusty. Thanks Again!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Just so you know, you can't use other people's artwork like this. Not for free give-away games, not for work-in-progress games. You just can't.

misth(Posted 2013) [#5]
DjBigWorm, keep me updated man!

And GfK...really? You didn't have anything else to say...? Imho, people should be proud of their artwork since they're being used, at least as placeholders. I don't think he's violating anything here! Or maybe I just don't care about that - even tho I'm a bit jealous. ;)

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#6]
@GfK
I didnt' know that. well so far what you see is original work. Except the bats and some background graphics. The free stuff off the "net". I ment was
music or sprites that state "free do with what you want". I didn't mean ripoff stuff. Is that what you were getting at?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
And GfK...really? You didn't have anything else to say...?
Only that it looks ugly (which is why I didn't bother trying it), but he already knows that.

Imho, people should be proud of their artwork since they're being used, at least as placeholders. I don't think he's violating anything here!
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Or maybe I just don't care about that.
Hardly surprising since you're from Finland.

Is that what you were getting at?
I'm not massively familiar with CV games but the skeleton is definitely from CV4 - I googled it to check (even if you got it from somewhere else for free in all innocence). Some of the other stuff in the backgrounds is very questionable, too.

Unfortunately, too many people (like this "misth" character) think they can put what they like on the net and call it "free". Then along comes somebody like you, thinking it's 'free' because the site says that it is.

In the grand scheme of things, whoever owns copyright on this stuff is unlikely to get on your case over it. But it's still a situation best avoided. Companies don't want to see their brands 'endorsing' the work of other people.

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#8]
@Gfk

Understood, I wasn't trying to use copyrighted stuff. Place holders is what they are for now.
Sorry you found the graphics to ugly to try.
The mechanics is what i was wanting an opinion on.
Thanks for your insight much appriciated.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
Sorry you found the graphics to ugly to try.
Ok well fair enough - that wasn't the only reason, although I really don't like the over-pixelly style. I just don't like platformers in general - if you'd posted a remake of Earthworm Jim or something here, I wouldn't have bothered with that either.

Always interested in what people are doing, just not often interested enough to download and try things.

Ringo(Posted 2013) [#10]
I googled it.

Someone needs to get out more.ffs

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
[edit] You're not worth derailing a thread for.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#12]
semi related, given the amount of sprite based games having their gfx 'ripped' and posted as bmp's and other file formats, I sorely detest those that say
GFX ripped by [name of ripper from ripping community] give credit if used

No, just no.
If I were to use them and give credit, I would say "sonic sprites from sonic the hedgehog 2 drawn by [name of Sonic Team Artist]" but the whole other peoples media is best avoided where ever possible, the pixel artist might not give a flying, but the rights owners could bleed you dry all for what, place holder gfx?

misth(Posted 2013) [#13]
Hardly surprising since you're from Finland.

Yeah, now that explains a lot for me too! D:

And sorry GfK, I thought you were whining about few sprites that are seen in the screenshots (even tho I know it's the same thing, I just thought that, that's all you could say about those pics and the game, lol).
It was all a misunderstanding for me, because my eyes and brains aren't exactly working today, it's monday for christ sake (and yeah, because I'm from Finland).

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#14]
Well 'it looks ugly' is pretty harsh and unconstructive... however on the rest of it, Gfk is giving solid advice. Some companies do care enough to threaten the little guy with a lawsuit. For example, the makers of Boulderdash have issued warnings to people who have released free clones.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#15]

the makers of Boulderdash have issued warnings to people who have released free clones.

That's a bit much, the game's ancient! When getting to grips with a new programming language, that's the first thing people do - knock out a simple classic old game.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#16]
Well 'it looks ugly' is pretty harsh and unconstructive...
I only said that when called out by thingy from Finland. When the OP queried it, I elaborated by saying "I really don't like the over-pixelly style".

It's personal preference - some people like the blocky retro look. Personally I think it looks awful, and I don't see how I could have possibly been constructive about that (a little more tactful, perhaps, but I'm not one for tact), short of forcing my own ideals onto the guy.

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#17]
Hi everyone,
I figured I would get slammed for crappy controls, retared scrolling effects.. etc.. I didn't think the gfx would get so much heat.
I will change whatever graphics out for my own place holders when I get home. In the mean time if anyone has time can someone test it.
There is no installer just self contained exe. Sorry for the "GFX" trouble.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#18]
Very nice work! Retro graphics are not ugly and using place holders is fine. In some respects good pixel art can take longer than creating 3d models.

Good luck with this!

DjBigWorm(Posted 2013) [#19]
@NostalgicAlgorithms

Thanks for the positive response, I made the graphics less of an eye sore:)
Slight tweaks here and there. Have Fun

Dark Soul(Posted 2013) [#20]
dont pay much attention to GFK, his mother bought him underwear that was too small and one of his testicles is hangin out makin him bitchy as hell.
He's much friendlier after bein drugged and tossed into a bottomless well.

And good work by the way,looks kool ol'skool,

and if you do finish this, put in exp points, so a person can build up like in Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance.

Its the best one ever released in my opinion, if you havent played it, well theres always GBA emulators. but buy it if you like it (castlevania HoD). so I dont get blamed for promoting the pirating of software.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#21]
dont pay much attention to GFK, his mother bought him underwear that was too small and one of his testicles is hangin out makin him bitchy as hell.

You're funny. You should do stand-up.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#22]
You can't copyright style despite many IP holders thinking otherwise. Castlevania itself is not original in any sense of the word but a great series nonetheless. Nearly all of the ideas come from well established lore and fictional books.

For example you can make a Mario game but slightly change the look of the characters and there is nothing Nintendo or anyone can do about it. For example Jazz Jackrabbit is heavily inspired by Sonic (and Mario to a lessor extend) but it has many unique ideas all its own. Many of those sprites look like rough rips so I don't think anyone would be upset if he used those as place holders. Personally I would remove references to Castevania and instead make it a "Castevania inspired game" and possibly have a easter egg of Simon Belmont somewhere?