Halved-Circles Mine

Community Forums/Showcase/Halved-Circles Mine

wookie(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello,

I'd like to introduce for the first time my new game Halved-Circles Mine. This is 2D puzzle-platformer with destructible terrain (Lemmings/Worms like), physics simulation and mining machinery you have to operate :)

http://halvedcirclesmine.com

Enjoy !

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
I think I have just soiled myself. That looks great.

If I had one crit, it's that some parts might get annoying as everything happens pretty slowly (i.e. building the bridge at 11:38). Maybe you could have a "fast forward" function which makes time pass quicker to get around that.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#3]

That looks great.
...everything happens pretty slowly

I agree with the first statement, the second one I'm not so sure - but can understand the point. The game has a certain charm as it is.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#4]
Fantastic work!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#5]
Really nicely done.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#6]
Looks great. I can really feel the mass of that machinery! Story looks interesting, too.

I'm sure you already have this planned, but this is crying out for some music... and of course a fistful of dynamite.

wookie(Posted 2013) [#7]
Thanks for favourable reception.

About that slowness - I'm aware of that but I'm afraid that speeding it up would loose it's industrial mood. Maybe fastworward button is an idea - I will consider it. Anyway there will be a lot more machines so playing shouldn't be too repetitive, also main goal will be to finish the level in limited time (quite limited indeed) so that slowness would add additional adrenaline and force player to act precisely like pro machine operator :)

shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#8]
Wow, that looks neat.
Have you got any background infos, as how you build your levels and if your are using a scripting language (I assume so).
Also that camera system and your character animation are super smooth.

steve_ancell(Posted 2013) [#9]
COOL!...Reminds me of Benefactor (Amiga)... *Peels eyes from monitor*.

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#10]
Great audio, what libraries are you using?

wookie(Posted 2013) [#11]
@Kryzon
90% of sounds I recorded myself (mostly various electric tools). It's amazing what could be done with sound editing software.

The other 10% I bought on pond5.com

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#12]
wookie... this is only one man's point of view, but playing against the clock really puts me off a game. You may want to do some market reasearch on that point, however maybe I'm in the minority.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
I agree with the first statement, the second one I'm not so sure - but can understand the point. The game has a certain charm as it is.
I know what you mean, but would that 'charm' still be there after unsuccessfully trying to do the same bit a dozen times or more? That's where a FFWD function comes in.

wookie... this is only one man's point of view, but playing against the clock really puts me off a game.
I agree there, too... kind of. If it's just a clock counting down then it could be a worry. If it's an integral part of the game such as a rising water level (and I'm thinking Bullfrog's "Flood" here), then that's a different kettle of fishies.

Will there be underwater bits? There should be. It'd be even more awesome.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hmm, ok...save points? So you can jump back if unsuccessful on a section...rising water - cool idea :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#15]
I agree there, too... kind of. If it's just a clock counting down then it could be a worry. If it's an integral part of the game such as a rising water level (and I'm thinking Bullfrog's "Flood" here), then that's a different kettle of fishies.
I agree with the bit where you kind of disagree with me! Flood's still my fave platformer of all time.

wookie(Posted 2013) [#16]
About clock: of course there will be some obvious, cause/reason why time is running, not only digits on screen but for that moment I don't know what it will be. Flooding was considered but as game uses physics simulation water should also respect laws of physics and this could be hard to achieve.

Anyway, this is a very early alpha and there is a lot of things to do and lots to design so everything can change. Running time is an idea - one day there will be beta tests and I will see what is good and what isn't.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#17]
About clock: of course there will be some obvious, cause/reason why time is running, not only digits on screen but for that moment I don't know what it will be. Flooding was considered but as game uses physics simulation water should also respect laws of physics and this could be hard to achieve.
Gradually have the mine fill with poisonous gas?

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#18]
90% of sounds I recorded myself (mostly various electric tools). It's amazing what could be done with sound editing software.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that.
Everything has that cinematic punch to it; you must've had quite the field recording equipment.

wookie(Posted 2013) [#19]
@shinkiro1
Yes - maps are defined using simple scripting language
Character animations are skeletal so it isn't one sprite but about 15.

misth(Posted 2013) [#20]

Agreed. And me too. Oh wait... The reverse.

If I had one crit, it's that some parts might get annoying as everything happens pretty slowly (i.e. building the bridge at 11:38). Maybe you could have a "fast forward" function which makes time pass quicker to get around that.

I just had an idea, that maybe you don't need that. I suggest that there's something that you can do, while the bridge is being built. Then you could eliminate the need for fast forwards.

But I still have to say; this made me "holy-crap" myself! Keep it up!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2013) [#21]
Incredible !
Really :)

Nice job.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#22]

Agreed. And me too. Oh wait... The reverse.
I think the reverse of soiling oneself is biologically impossible.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#23]
Well there are enough fetishes around that inserting it back up is probably old hat by now.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#24]
So easily threads are knocked off their initial purpose these days lol. I guess we're a bit bored.

wookie(Posted 2013) [#25]
Hello again.

I just uploaded first trailer for HCM. What do you think?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#26]
The sounds, the visuals...nailed it. Totally on the money, good job!

big10p(Posted 2013) [#27]
Excellent.

siredblood(Posted 2013) [#28]
looks great, nice logo too

wookie(Posted 2013) [#29]
New trailer video link. I removed previous because of few corrections:

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#30]

I think I have just soiled myself.

I have twice after the 'scary' videos lol ;)