Will there be Game Library added to Monkey 2?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Will there be Game Library added to Monkey 2?

Hotshot(Posted 2016) [#1]
For example, SFML 2? Or it is already there?

There also other Game Modules or Library for Monkey 2 are

PYRO

fantomEngine 2

therevills(Posted 2016) [#2]
Mojo2 for MonkeyX 2 (MX2) is using SDL in the background.

Currently there are no game frameworks for MX2, Tony from Playniax is coding Pyro 2... not sure if FantomEngine is coming to MX2.

And we might have something soon too ;)

Amon(Posted 2016) [#3]
And we might have something soon too ;)

Don't.....

Stop it.....

Can I beta test the New Improved Diddy2 for MX2.

:)

taumel(Posted 2016) [#4]
May i suggest calling it voodoo this time (if it's good and there no problems)?

Hotshot(Posted 2016) [#5]
Could you tell me what Diddy 2 can do?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#6]
Nothing at the moment... all WIP and since MX2 isnt finished we are just playing with it at the moment.

It'll have the screen based framework and basic sprite objects at least. With a lot of the other modules we may separate them to individual projects when it makes sense (eg XML parser).

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#7]
Tony from Playniax is coding Pyro 2

Not sure it will be named Pyro 2 or Pyro for Monkey 2

Anyway, I did start some 'serious' porting but also playing around and enjoying the new toys.
So far I have ported the Pyro framework 'lightweight' modules like content manager, base64, xml, config, gfx, etc. basically the files found in the 'framework' folder. The scenegraph is running with sprites, tiles, etc. and the scenebuilder / tiled loader. So actually the 'game stuff' of Pyro is up and running for about 90% I did all this in about 2-3 weeks. Not bad at all. I expect to start porting the GUI this week but I will not make any predictions on when I can release anything. Monkey 2 can have some last minute changes also but I feel confidant porting is just a matter of time and not very difficult.

* Note that I could have ported all that stuff faster if I didn't have that need to do things better the second time...

therevills(Posted 2016) [#8]
Cool!

With XML I'm thinking it maybe better to use a pure C++ library (similar to the one Brucey wrapped for BMX).

How are you handling the time step for MX2? Since it now doesnt have the OnUpdate method, I've been playing around with the new Timer class and FRL... but undecided on which is better.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#9]
With XML I'm thinking it maybe better to use a pure C++ library (similar to the one Brucey wrapped for BMX)

Yeah, thinking the same thing. Now I am just getting all the Pyro (1) stuff running but in some cases it will probably be better to have some of the C++ things running and not only XML but box2d, Spine etc and other cool stuff out there.

How are you handling the time step for MX2? Since it now doesnt have the OnUpdate method, I've been playing around with the new Timer class and FRL... but undecided on which is better.

I have the same 'dilemma' at the moment. Right now I am just calling it from the OnRender method but I need to dive deeper into that stuff.

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#10]
not sure if FantomEngine is coming to MX2.

Mike did mention on his forum that Fantom would support MX2 if he sees any demand for it. He's still much a part of the monkey community and pays close attention - albiet in ghost mode now, heh.