Using mojo2?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Using mojo2?

GW_(Posted 2016) [#1]
The previous binary release used mojo2 alongside mojo1. The current repo doesn't have a mojo mod, so how can I work with a window and a graphics context without resorting to raw sdl?

marksibly(Posted 2016) [#2]
At the moment, you can't.

I'll be adding mojo/mojo2 back very soon though!

GW_(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thanks!

marksibly(Posted 2016) [#4]
Ok, so much for 'very soon'! Make that 'soonish'...

The problem is that I'm about to soup up mojo2 quite a bit, so 'releasing' it in its current state would be a little pointless/misleading as it will change.

Not much, but enough to hurt as it will mostly affect the core rendering system, eg: how OnRender works etc. I *could* release the current mojo2 module as 'mojo2-old' or something I guess, but I'd really rather wait until the real thing is available. I wont be supporting or tweaking any 'mojo2-old' module so I wouldn't recommend using it.

Like the IDE, I have scaled back my ambitions for a 2d module somewhat. Mojo2 is IMO pretty cool except in a couple of areas so I've decided to continue improving mojo2 rather than writing a new 2d module from scratch.

I do expect a bunch of stuff to come together pretty quickly in the near future. This is kind of the last hurdle before what I'd consider 'v1.0' to be ready, so if everyone can bear with me for just a little bit longer, I think we'll be 'there' soon.

I'll make a more detailed blog update soon regarding all this, including what I've got planned for mx2 mojo2 and what mx2 v1.0 is likely to look like in general.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#5]
Just to reinforce what you've said, I've been using mojo2 on a few jam and other projects and it's been exactly what I was hoping for.

Namely having a canvas for an image, that can be used to draw to another canvas. Which is perfect for doing low res pixel effects. And also to do lighting effects using multiplicative blend. Want to play with shaders but haven't as yet.

And the fact it's worked out of the box the same on PC, Mac, iOS, HTML5, and Droid.

A smaller, but sooner MX2 release is a good direction. I think you already have the basis for a MVP (Minimum Viable Product) and then can pour in the gravy of more features post-release.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#6]
From the blog - "My current goal is to get a V1.0 of mx2 together so people can start actually using it. In addition to what’s already up on github, this will include:

* Ted2 (with usable debugger)
* Custom Gui module.
* Sexier Mojo2 module.
* Decent set of docs.
* Usable help system.
* mx2db for people using 3rd party IDEs.

Things that will not, alas, be in V1.0:

* Threads
* Reflection
* Module manager (soon!)
* Android/iOS support (soon!)
* Custom 3D Module"

That's a solid list of haves, and the other stuff can wait IMHO. For later features, mobile platforms would like to see sooner. Then threads, but module manager might be a bigger selling point to developers.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#7]
> * mx2db for people using 3rd party IDEs.

'db' sounds like 'database', and I thought it may be something like a database(-tool)
for code-completion-support for 3rd-party IDEs, or something like that.
Reading the blog, I see now it's the debugger. Maybe 'mx2dbg' would be a better name.

About features on the roadmap, 'Class Extensions' sounds most interesting / important / useful, in my opinion.

marksibly(Posted 2016) [#8]
> That's a solid list of haves, and the other stuff can wait IMHO.

Yeah, I think it's pretty good base package to start with. The 'other stuff' is mainly things I expect to be a bit involved but haven't even started yet - and I'm worried that if I *do* start them, V1.0 will just end up delayed even more.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#9]
What of HTML5/emscriptem? One of my fav MX1 features. Not that MX1 disappears, I can see myself flipping between MX1 and MX2 depending on the project.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#10]
I was looking forward to a new 2d module as mojo2 wasn't sexy at all (it was too much in your way, like other parts of monkey and monkey2). In the end it comes down to what "sexier" actually means. Any information about the custom 3d module?