Mojo2,Monkey2 ?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Mojo2,Monkey2 ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#1]
Would love some clarification on something I seem to have understood wrongly which is not surprise really but anyway, if some one who's been following marks posts more than me could take this bag of snakes and straighten them all out I would appreciate it.

Right so Monkey 2 is a new language, my assumption was that Mojo 2 was the mojo version for monkey 2 and I would be willing to bet that I am not the only one thinking that.

BUT!, Apparently Mojo 2 is actually just Monkey 1 second version of mojo, and if that's the case I am now wondering if Mojo 2 will have feature parity with mojo 1, ie will 2 do everything 1 can do and how simple will it be to move or port something from 1 => 2.

Finally does that mean that mojo(within monkey 2) will actually be mojo 3?

I'm actually laughing as I re-read my post its a bit mental if its true.

Richard Betson(Posted 2016) [#2]
On Mark's roadmap (Monkey2 site) he mentions 'MojoX' and 'Mojo2D'; I would like to know more about them.

marksibly(Posted 2016) [#3]
There will be a port of the existing mojo2 to monkey2 that will work pretty much the same as monkey1's mojo2.

However, there will also be a new version of mojo2 (called mojox, mojo2d or something else entirely - haven't decided yet) that only works in monkey2.

Mojo2d will be similar to mojo2 but with some improved capabilities including:

* Fully 'immediate mode' (although still drawlist based!) ie: no renderer class, just DrawRect, DrawImage, DrawShadow, DrawLight etc.

* More flexible shader system. Instead of shaders being 'bound' to materials, you'll be able to go 'SetShader' so you can draw the same thing with different shaders more easily.

* More light types/shaders.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#4]
it is a bit confusing tho, how about naming them mojoBasic and mojoAdvanced with regard to monkey 1, mojo and mojo 2.

off topic, is mojo a reference to mojo jojo?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2016) [#5]
@Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEzmSff3M

On a more serious note, I like the sound of mojo2d, sounds more like what I'm used to in mojo already, and I'm guessing won't take long to adapt. Paul, what makes mojoBasic/mojoAdvanced any less confusing? Particularly if mojo1 doesn't sound likely to come with monkey2, and if one of the planned libs is intended to supercede the older ones. The current naming scheme is at least "forwards compatible" in that if they're superceded, it's easy to reflect that in a new name (the fact mojo2 isn't a direct replacement for mojo nonwithstanding)...