Swift - open source

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Swift - open source

degac(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi
just read about the Apple moves on Swift.
I have no clear the exact advantages of an 'open-source' language targeted/binded with gthe Apple ecosystem (at the moment)... nor I know how many programmers are using (or are forced to use...) it.

In any case, a question: a MX2 to Swift target could/should be ad advantage or not?

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#2]
In the short term, that seems like a make work project. If MX1/2 work with ObjC/C++ then why re-invent the wheel by adding another language generator? ObjC isn't going away anytime soon, nor will Apple block apps built using it.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#3]
I thought I read somewhere that MX2 will only translate to C (or C++)...

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#4]
There's probably not much point doing this, as I doubt there will be any platforms that support Swift but not C++ for a while yet, if ever.

On the other other, it might be worth looking into whether it's possible for the mx2 builder to compile swift source files the way it does c/c++ source files, so you can at least write native code with it.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#5]
Yep, it's important MX2 can compile it using 3rd party tools - for library developers.
On MacOSX you can already mix C++ and ObjC with MX. Would indeed be nice if
Swift(2) could be used, instead of Objective-C. It's a little bit better.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#6]
@Danilo: Swift(2) could be used, instead of Objective-C. It's a little bit better.

After using Swift commercially for an entire two weeks, I'm missing Objective-C.