Pointers vs References

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Pointers vs References

JoshKlint(Posted 2015) [#1]
One of the hardest concepts for me to grasp going from BMX to C++ was pointers vs object references. BlitzMax objects act like pointers. It wasn't until I compared references to a regular old variable that I finally "got" it.

To review, here are the characteristics of each:

Pointer:
Defined creation and destruction.
Setting to equal equals the same object.

References:
Declared and go out of scope, but never created or destroyed.
Setting equal copies the object.

Unlike C++, I would suggest making these two distinct types of containers. I would call pointers "Class" and references a "Struc", keeping all the details hidden from the end user.

Struc Vec3
Field x#, y#, z#
EndStruc

Local a:Vec3, b:Vec3
a.x = 1
b = a
b.y=2
Print(a) ' 1,0,0
Print(b) ' 1,0,2

Class Vec3
Field x#, y#, z#
EndClass

Local a:Vec3 = new Vec3, b:Vec3 = new Vec3
a.x = 1
b = a
b.y=2
Print(a) ' 1,0,2
Print(b) ' 1,0,2

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#2]
That's what immutable types are for. I remember mark mentioning they're going to be added.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#3]
What you've described as "pointer" is essentially an "object reference" in every garbage collected language, and what you've defined as a "reference" is essentially a value type (struct, etc.)

abakobo(Posted 2015) [#4]
There has been a thread about dynamic adressing in MX2. It could help you understand how far MX2 will go with it. (my conclusion is you won't be able to generate a segmentation fault with MX2 but i'm sure I didn't understand everything in the thread!;)

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9770&page=1

JoshKlint(Posted 2015) [#5]
This is very exciting. With other languages, you basically have to choose between Linux and iOS (as an analogy). Mark is making something that has the power of C++ and the ease of use of basic.

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#6]
By the way, strings in BlitzMax behave like your "struct"