Android Target

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Android Target

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

I was a little stunned that Monkey X has no external keyboard support for Android (from what I have read). So I want to make my plea for both external keyboard and track pad support in MX2. Target specific aspects like this are IMHO no 'brainers' when it comes to obvious areas of hardware support. If MX2 is ever to use a GUI or any non-touch oriented (track pad oriented) interface it should support external input devices. In my world access to tablet paired external keyboards/touch pads and Bluetooth connected input devices (think keyboards and joysticks) are necessary and required.

Although beyond the scope of a language feature I guess (I just have to mention it), I still find it hard sitting here with the beginnings of working GUI and game framework (Monkey X) and I cant use the paired tablet keyboard to play the game. Awwwww why. :) Part of the future for tablets on both Android and Windows 8/Metro is tablets paired with keyboards and track pads. Not everything you do in Android is going to be touch based all the time anymore. There are gaming, business and other applications where use of an external keyboard and track pad are preferred. More then enough out there now to warrant the addition of this hardware support request.

Thanks,

Edit - Really an important issue for me as my UI design prefers this kind of hardware access.

secondgear(Posted 2015) [#2]
Speaking of Android target, it looks like Monkey 2 is going NDK route (no generated Java code?). Which means (to my uneducated understanding) that anything .jar (third-party ad networks, analytic and in-app payment libs) will have to be dealt with through JNI - something I've never done before. Hopefully Mark will provide the basics (such as Google Play in-app billing support) as a part of the base Monkey 2 package.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
it looks like Monkey 2 is going NDK route

Which should make it easier to implement external keyboards and track pad as well as bind Bluetooth.

I have a video/post up of my gaming framework which illustrates why I need this support (2nd video post).
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9788&post=105070