Threads and Unsigned Types?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Threads and Unsigned Types?

amando(Posted 2015) [#1]
Now Monkey 2 (BlitzNeXT) is being discussed I would like to know if these ( Threads and Unsigned Types ) are something can be added. As others I would like to use Monkey 2 to develop multiplayer games ( rewrite an 2d ISO MMO I purchased a couple of years ago and sadly is coded in VS6 ).

I need to use unsigned types a lot, and threading is really needed for using all CPU cores. If Monkey 2 could been developed with Threading / Types / DB can be a powerful candidate for server things, for online games.

Thanks!
Amando

Skn3(Posted 2015) [#2]
Massive +2 for threading.

It would be cool if it was built into the language, let us create threads in a code block and have the compiler figure out the magic.

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#3]
Threading would be very nice to have with propper language constructs (parallel for loops, wait/signal commands, synclock object, etc.9

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#4]
Some C++ threading stuff:

- POCO C++ Libraries (Wikipedia)

- POCO Features - Platforms:
Desktop/Server: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX
Embedded/Mobile: Windows Embedded CE, Embedded Linux (uClibc or glibc), iOS, Android, QNX, VxWorks

- OpenMP
- Intel TBB
- more...

GW_(Posted 2015) [#5]
I suspect that threading will largely be determined on how the GC is setup. Write barriers and such can get really hairy pretty quickly.
I hope that maybe the GC will have minimal coupling in that it could be replaced if needed. Perhaps steal the one from NIM (soft real-time, multi-threaded)