MonkeyC / BlitzC

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/MonkeyC / BlitzC

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#1]
After reading all these suggestions in this forum, seeing the language suggestions, voices raised about ditching backwards compatibility, I can't help thinking that this looks basically like a C/C++ derivate. So why not ditch the BASIC/JAVA language and use C++ directly?. Build a nice framework for it, have template projects and an automate build process for the target platforms and there you go. Think about it!

therevills(Posted 2015) [#2]
Hate C/C++!

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#3]
Maybe the new name for it should be CnotC?

wiebow(Posted 2015) [#4]
It's not basic anymore, that's for sure.

OvineByDesign(Posted 2015) [#5]
..... why not just write in C++ ..... I don't see where monkey2 is aiming to go.....

/StuC

Samah(Posted 2015) [#6]
Because C++ is a disgusting pile of crap. If we're going to ditch the idea of creating a new dialect, just cross compile C# to any targets that don't natively support it in one way or another.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#7]
I'm trusting Mark to keep to the Basic roots, and basically add some niceties or correct poorly-working language features in Monkey1. It sounds like it is still planned to be close enough to Monkey1 though.

Some of the suggestions are for language features over my head right now, so I hope their inclusion (if included) doesn't complicate the language too much or we will have lost something of value here.

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#8]
C++ is a dinosaur. I see suggested changes much more Java or .Net related. And that's very nice. The major complaint with both Java and .Net technologies are JIT and the need to distribute a JIT runtime with both. If Monkey2 avoids this 2 things, it can get some attention.

(but the way, I do not considere JIT somethign wrong, but there's a lot of debate still on this area)

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#9]
To be honest the more they get from the basic dialect the more people will be driven to other platforms, at least with Unity C# there is no illusions of what they are targeting.

GW_(Posted 2015) [#10]
I'm trusting Mark to keep to the Basic roots, and basically add some niceties or correct poorly-working language features in Monkey1. It sounds like it is still planned to be close enough to Monkey1 though.
Some of the suggestions are for language features over my head right now, so I hope their inclusion (if included) doesn't complicate the language too much or we will have lost something of value here.

Exactly!

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#11]
Still looks like MX with some enhancements and additions to the generic, object-oriented language.
For example, new basic data types taken from BlitzMax, and interfacing to + importing.external code libraries more easily.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2015) [#12]
Bleh, C++. It's time to move on. There's like only one remotely modern BASIC dialect that exists anymore to compare Monkey to and that's VB.NET -- Someone has to carry the torch! Like others have said, I think if you want C++ maybe you should consider C++. Or some other language which is C-like, but more modern and not encumbered with 25 years of crap. There's a million zillion brazillian of those -- C#, Vala, D spring to mind. Modern cutting edge languages like Go and Rust stray further from those, but still have syntactical roots there.

@tiresius

I totally agree, but that's why the discussion here now is so important. Everyone wants to see some nice stuff added to monkey2 that will make it more powerful, but I think most of us at the back of our minds know that it needs to be done in a way that maintains the BASIC spirit. That spirit is what drew me to Monkey in the first place, being a bit of a Blitz outsider for many years -- seeing great strides made to adding modern features, learning from the past but implementing syntax it in a way that didn't seem hamstrung by it, the way VB often is, and perhaps other BASIC dialects, as well.

Monkey has a lot of convenience syntax which makes it a joy to code in; stuff that is normally taken for granted in languages like Ruby, JS, and Python that Monkey has, and no other BASIC dialect does. New powerful features should have the "killer use case" scenario which makes them obvious to a coder why the language is hot and can make their life easier.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#13]
I love that Monkey/Blitz is based on BASIC. Don't ever change that.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#14]
I love Monkeys syntax and language too. But my all time favorite is PASCAL and always will be. C++ I hate with a passion. But less because of the syntax (only ***something I hate) than more that I had to fight with a the linker and the type conversion all the time.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#15]
I get nostalgic about Pascal, but when I actually look at the syntax again I remember why I liked Basic better. : )

C++ I love/hate. Love it because it's been a trusty tool for nearly 20 years now. Hate it because how it's evolved with a clunky bolt on after bolt on syntax. More love than hate though.