Suggestions

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Suggestions

JoshKlint(Posted 2015) [#1]
In marketing, a good name is short, unambiguous in spelling, and communicates the overall idea of the product. "Blitz" is a great name. It's short, unambiguous, and indicates "rapid development". You don't need to call it "Blitz Pro" or "Blitz Max 2015 Professional". Just call it Blitz.

A basic 3D command set would be easy to implement and provide a lot of additional functionality. The key here is to have a well defined scope and ignore requests outside that scope. I would start with the Blitz3D command set, and then eliminate some features. If you go down the route of shaders, lighting, post-processing effects, etc. you're going to end up having to build a lot of visual tools to deal with the increased complexity in the art pipeline. Just stick with simplicity and basic 3D graphics.

MaxGUI is probably the most valuable thing Blitz offers. I am curious to see what is planned for this. Maybe using QT?

Samah(Posted 2015) [#2]
@JoshKlint: Just call it Blitz.

So it can be confused with all of the other BRL products. Monkey is a completely different concept to BlitzMax/BlitzBasic/Blitz3D, and is deserving of its own name. I don't see why Monkey 2 couldn't get similar treatment.

@JoshKlint: A basic 3D command set would be easy to implement and provide a lot of additional functionality.

How about let's not even get ahead of ourselves talking about modules. First decide what language features it could support and how they would be translated. Then you can look at APIs.
Also I don't see why you need visual tools to design shaders, lighting, and post-processing effects. Just learn GLSL and all is well.

@JoshKlint: MaxGUI is probably the most valuable thing Blitz offers. I am curious to see what is planned for this. Maybe using QT?

Again, module. Monkey 2 could support all the popular GUI frameworks if someone is willing to write bindings for it.

skid(Posted 2015) [#3]
I would prefer .net over QT using a standard native to managed bridge.

IMHO real productivity software needs to use best in class not lowest common denominator frameworks.

As for marketing / naming, you are joking right? There is already a grandma / eggs scenario playing out in another thread so I won't weigh in on that one...

Nobuyuki(Posted 2015) [#4]
JoshKlint: Welcome to the Monkey forums, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here :)

As for your suggestions, I don't think I could say anything that others haven't already said better here, or that I haven't talked about before at length in another thread.

Pharmhaus(Posted 2015) [#5]

A basic 3D command set would be easy to implement and provide a lot of additional functionality. The key here is to have a well defined scope and ignore requests outside that scope. I would start with the Blitz3D command set, and then eliminate some features. If you go down the route of shaders, lighting, post-processing effects, etc. you're going to end up having to build a lot of visual tools to deal with the increased complexity in the art pipeline. Just stick with simplicity and basic 3D graphics.

MaxGUI is probably the most valuable thing Blitz offers. I am curious to see what is planned for this. Maybe using QT?

I totally agree and I have to admit that I have the deep dark fear of mark being too much of an engineer and not doing customer focus right because he is in love with the language only.