Goals and Modules

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Goals and Modules

degac(Posted 2015) [#1]
Just some simple questions about the 'new' language.

1. what is the 'core' goal of the language? Gaming or more generic?
2. It's planned a GUI support at some point? (Monkey has nothing, while BlitzMax has MaxGUI)
3. In BlitzMax modules are the *core* of the language: MX2 has/will have this approach?

I know that a 'GUI' that should run on different target (desktop, mobile and maybe consoles) it's not so easy to create (and I don't know even if there's something around ready-to-use/implement).
But I'm quite sure that IF MX2 will be a 'generic' language a GUI-module is needed.

I know the multi-platform-mantra and modules approach will reduce the choices, so I hope Mark will plan the 'future' of this language looking ahead (otherwise will be at the same point of MX1!)

Samah(Posted 2015) [#2]
At its core, Monkey is just a language to language translator, that happens to include a framework for rendering to a graphics context. I don't see why it couldn't be made more generic.

degac(Posted 2015) [#3]
Ok, even monkey x is generic at this point.
But it is /was developed with games in mind.
I would know if mark has in mind the same thing or not.
Bmx indeed is still more flexible, it's not designed for a specific goal.

JaviCervera(Posted 2015) [#4]
Having MaxGUI ported to Monkey2 would be totally awesome.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#5]
Note that I will be porting Diddy to Monkey 2, and most likely backporting a lot of features to Monkey 1, even if it means creating a new module.

bosh77(Posted 2015) [#6]
Hello and congratulations for the project MonkeyX really great job!
Regarding Monkey2, I want to know if there are plans a module for on-line games, to exchange data quickly between devices!
Thank you very much!

Samah(Posted 2015) [#7]
Assuming Monkey2 ships with a "game module", I suggest using SDL for at least the desktop targets. I think there are iOS and Android (NDK) builds for it too...

degac(Posted 2015) [#8]
Another question about modules-structure.

in MX1 we have mojo.input for handling input (and considering mojo should manage mainly 'gfx' things it's quite strange for me).

It seems (to me) more logic to have a 'input.module' - independent and common to MX2. (maybe there's a reason for this I don't know).
Same for OS (notifications, messages etc) and FILEHANDLING (in mx1 is a separate module from mojo... brl.filesystem).
I think the idea is to 'focus/specialize' in separate modules, so technically it should be easier to modify/change/maintain/adding/replacing this as needed.

Moreover I would like to see a SENSOR module, to manage GPS, gyroscope, etc