just a generic language, or more?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/just a generic language, or more?

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#1]
Will it ship with some kind of mojo equivalent?

And... Which minimum OSX version will be needed to develop with it?

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#2]
> Will it ship with some kind of mojo equivalent?

Yes, I've been working on this for a while, announcement coming soon.

> And... Which minimum OSX version will be needed to develop with it?

Generally, you'll always need the latest version of xcode.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#3]
Generally, you'll always need the latest version of xcode.

To bad. On Monkey 1 I can get away with using an older one. I can't upgrade my Imac to Yosemite, as it will be crawling slow.

Good luck with Monkey 2.

Corum(Posted 2015) [#4]
Apple upgrading policy is the reason why I went back to windows.
My beloved mac pro 2006 (1,1) is happy to run Snow Leopard, alongside windows 7 pro 64bit via bootcamp.
Bye bye Apple.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#5]
Apple upgrading policy is the reason why I went back to windows.

Well, I have a Fujitsu windows machine, 4-5 yrs old which isn't compatible with Windows 8 either. So it isn't only Apple.

Corum(Posted 2015) [#6]
Swapping a motherboard or a cpu is still possible though, and even at a reasonable cost.
Actually Apple forces you to spend a bunch of money to buy a brand new machine with relatively (not upgradable) old hardware, that would cost a fraction in the pc world.

Furthermore, if you cannot afford some hardware facelift, the Linux option is still there.
Apple computing is doomed. Gaming on Mac was never born.
They'd better push their touch-ish toys as much as they can.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#7]
>I can't upgrade my Imac to Yosemite, as it will be crawling slow.

I have heard that clean installs fix the slowness for most people. I believe it's possible to install to a USB jump drive and then boot from it to test maybe.

Mac Minis are still cheap. You don't need anything more than the base model.

ifixit has good guides for most upgrades for your devices.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#8]
Corum wrote:
"My beloved mac pro 2006"

Sorry, but after 9 years it's about time to get a new system, Just like any Windows XP system...
That may sound harsh, but it's the simple reality...

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#9]
I have heard that clean installs fix the slowness for most people.

You need at least 6 Gb of ram to run Yosemite decently. Normally, this machine is at its limit (4GB). Anyway, no biggy. There are so many tools to develop with, the world is not ending here. :-)

Corum(Posted 2015) [#10]
Sorry, but after 9 years it's about time to get a new system, Just like any Windows XP system...
That may sound harsh, but it's the simple reality...

Dual xeon, 4 cores, 8gb ram, directx11/GL4.5 graphics card are not on par with a new system?
Just tell it to win7 rating tool. My machine is getting max ratings on everything but disk drives.
Of course, it could run yosemite smoothly, but it's just crazy to make an hackintosh on a real mac.
A real midtower and beautiful machine. When apple designers was not committed to reinvent the trashcan concept. :D

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#11]
His point isn't that any 10 year old machine can run it, it is that 9-10 years should not be an expected life span. I used to upgrade at least once a year. Since the i7's came out I have changed it to every 2 years. But I can't imagine going even 4 or 5 years without upgrading. If you make a living on your computer, it should be a priority purchase, IMHO.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#12]
If you make a living on your computer

I don't. I have a good paying real life job. This all here is just a hobby.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#13]
The main problem is that everybody needs latest Xcode and SDKs that come with it. So we are forced to upgrade by Apple,
or we can't develop using latest iOS8 features. Apple also often deprecates APIs with every new OS version, introducing new frameworks
and possibly later remove stuff completely (after it was marked deprecated for a while).
I think it is one of the reasons Mark said latest Xcode is required. Otherwise it would be very hard to manage what APIs could be used
with MX2 on which OS versions.
WinAPI is much more stable and long-time compatible, but on the other hand it's understandable that not all OS makers
want to support old APIs forever (or for 20+ years). In that sense Apple is more 'agile', and it forces developers to upgrade often
and adapt codes to new technologies.
Write once, run for the next 20 years on every future OS Version is probably little bit better with Windows.

Corum(Posted 2015) [#14]
Obvious. Having a real midtower computer, along years I added ram, disks, changed graphics card and upgraded from tiger to leopard and then snow leopard. I even made a software raid with 4 disks, 1+0 setup. Data were safe and disk access very quick. I was an happy programmer.
Then Mr. Jobs died, and apple died with him.
I'm very sorry for the off-topic derail I started, though. :/

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#15]
I think it is one of the reasons Mark said latest Xcode is required. Otherwise it would be very hard to manage what APIs could be used
with MX2 on which OS versions.

It is one thing to publish to IOS. There you need the latest. But if I want to develop for Android, I don't need the latest XCode. My question was about if I need the latest OSX in order to develop with Monkey 2. Not if I need the latest OSX to develop for OSX/IOS.

amando(Posted 2015) [#16]
Doesn't include Mavericks the latests Xcode version? I still use 10.9 but I'm curious whether Yosemite uses a different Xcode version. I installed 10.9 on all my kinda old hardware and runs flawlessly.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#17]
I would love to upgrade to mavericks but the app store doesn't provide it anymore. Only Yosemite.

skid(Posted 2015) [#18]
Mike where do you get your information? Yosemite is fastest version of MacOS I have had on my 2K9 MacBook and it's free.

Skn3(Posted 2015) [#19]
Yes, I've been working on this for a while, announcement coming soon.

Awesome, look forward to delving into the new mojo. Will it be released alongside the ultra early builds?

I'm sure someone could create a new target that supports old Xcode builds? I can't see monkey2 utilising many new API's that would make this impossible.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#20]
Skid, apple said themself that 4mb is not enough and i read a lot of posts of users which have them same setup like i have that it slows down alot.

skid(Posted 2015) [#21]
> Yes, I've been working on this for a while, announcement coming soon.

Am looking forward to this!

CopperCircle(Posted 2015) [#22]
Mike, I have an old MacBook Air with 2Gb of ram and Yosemite runs fine, just as fast as Mavericks did.

skape(Posted 2015) [#23]
Not sure why, but Yosemite runs better on my 2012 Air than Mavericks did...

On topic, looking forward to hearing more about the new lib(s)!

Jesse(Posted 2015) [#24]
I have had Maverick on my Macbook since it came out and it runs great without any problems.
Specs in Sig.

abakobo(Posted 2015) [#25]
Do you guys know about hackintosh?

It's legal in most parts of the planet! And is not so hard to install. You have to buy a compatible MB (by checking the HCL). I can run yosemite on a i3 laptop that cost me 380$ 4 years ago!
I think you can even use fakeSMC (THE hackintosh driver) on a real mac to force him accept to install an osx he should'n normally accept.
http://www.osx86project.org/