IDE and automatic SDK setup etc

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/IDE and automatic SDK setup etc

therevills(Posted 2015) [#1]
One of the major complaints with Monkey 1 was the IDE and all the work the user had to do with downloading SDKs.

It might be worth looking into a system which automatically downloads and sets up the SDK.

And of course the IDE could use some TLC.

impixi(Posted 2015) [#2]
What do you want from an IDE?

I've always liked BRL's minimalist IDEs though I realize I'm in the minority. Function folding and intellisense I could tolerate, but any other extra complexity (eg an enforced "project management system" or Visual Studio-like settings hell) would annoy me to no end.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#3]
The IDE for many was a let down, but an automated SDK installer that downloads the nitty gritty would become a pain to maintain.
I was looking into using Qt to create a GUI tool that used a plugin with configuration file method for each Monkey target that was supported by each destop OS. This in theory should make it more manageable to update.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2015) [#4]
I don't mind it, but I really hope that Jungle supports Monkey2 syntax and build chain! Would be a shame if Ziggy ends up making another IDE that's "almost" the same and charging a brand new shiny couple benjamins for it :V

Corum(Posted 2015) [#5]
Nowadays engines and languages can rely on outstanding IDE environments.
Just consider Unity (now almost natively bond to Visual Studio CE) and Unreal 4.

I started with blitzbasic, followed by blitz 3d, then bmax, then monkey, and Mark always mainly focused on languages over tools.
But today is different. Competitors offer free tools with pro features and very friendly environments.
Having a full featured ide/env is simply mandatory.

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#6]
I just hope we have an easy way to parse/obtain the current commands that are used in Monkey(2). This leaves us to be able to use our own editors.

At the moment you have to parse out this information yourself from the monkey mod files.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2015) [#7]
Why not just appropriate something like IDEal or, probably better for Monkey since it was designed for that, Jentos_IDE?

IndevIDE screenshot

Jentos IDE screenshot

Both appear to be a decent balance between the simple IDEs I like (and impixi!) and more advanced project management/code completion stuff.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#8]
Full cross-platform, native, IDE using QT shouldn't be a problem if MX2 is interesting enough to attract more developers. ;)

Corum(Posted 2015) [#9]
I agree with you, Danilo, but we cannot deny the opposite, i.e. an appealing environment just attracts more people.
I mean, just look at Polycode.

Above all, a code-only tool must excel at coding and debugging facilities.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#10]
@Corum:
I agree strongly! I mean that we, the MX2 users, could create that "appealing environment" to attract even more developers.

But, in my opinion, that depends on some of Mark's decisions about the language. If it is not useful to me, I'll just leave
and not provide my free time for the project. I can use my free time to create a 'better' language, or just go fishing...

A very good tool/base always attracts more developers.

Even experienced developers - who are able to help - get attracted, if they don't like fishing and the base is good,
just because fishing is way too boring to hyperactive people... ;)
(but fishing can help with relaxation (like Yoga), even if you don't like to kill/end lifes of fishes and fly)

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#11]
I'll do my best to support Monkey 2 as soon as I know how it is, but my first impression is that the core language changes are not exactly trivial to implement into current Monkey parser, so maybe a new parser will be required.

impixi(Posted 2015) [#12]
@DruggedBunny

Geany is another option for potential modification:

http://www.geany.org/

(The AGK2 IDE is actually a modified version of that).

Corum(Posted 2015) [#13]
Gtk is perfect for *nix systems, but has its own look and feel, its icon and widget sets, that look terribly 'wrong' under windows, and even mac.
Do you guys have ever coded with QT IDE? It's even better than visual studio, imho.
I'd be very happy if we could use a similar env for monkey2.

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#14]
The best thing would be a IDE that allows for easy SDK setup and no diving into config files or windows properties.

It also needs the ability to set icons from the IDE.

If TED had that more people would use it, diving into config files is so 1990s most languages these days do it for ya

Pharmhaus(Posted 2015) [#15]

One of the major complaints with Monkey 1 was the IDE and all the work the user had to do with downloading SDKs.

It just felt like a step back to me.
The reason I got into using blitz products was that they all were sooo easy to setup and use.
Just download, install and run. Thats it.
I obviously understand that this is not as easy with third party products but please don't drift into lots of manual configuration.

It also needs the ability to set icons from the IDE.

Ohh, yes! And the ability to define things like "Execute as Administrator" copyright, company etc.

wiebow(Posted 2015) [#16]
@ziggy: really nice. Will that upgrade be free for Jungle license holders, or will it be a paid update?

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#17]
@wiebow: I haven't thought about this just yet! I don't even have a language specification (not even sure Mark hast it yet). My idea is to make it free for current Jungle Ide Pro users, if possible

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#18]
I really like how Jungle just kinda auto setup all the SDKs for you. Now that was killer awesome.

wiebow(Posted 2015) [#19]
Ziggy: Nice to hear! Thanks. I really like Jungle and I would like to continue to use it.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#20]
@Neuro: I really like how Jungle just kinda auto setup all the SDKs for you. Now that was killer awesome.

Xamarin Studio does this too, and it's awesome. If Monkey 2 ships with an advanced IDE (refactoring, etc.), an auto SDK installer would be a huge bonus and make it look even more professional.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#21]
If Monkey 2 ships with an advanced IDE

Sounds like Ziggy needs to get hired by BRL ;)

dmaz(Posted 2015) [#22]
mark shouldn't waste his time with an editor at all... he needs to just provide that basic tools so we can setup any editor or ide.

I'm sure ziggy would like to eat too... jungle is great and was well worth the price and I got a number of years out updated out of it. his next one should be multi-platform for sure though.