Number of targets?

Community Forums/Monkey2 Talk/Number of targets?

therevills(Posted 2015) [#1]
How many targets as Monkey2 going to support?

IMHO Monkey1 had too many, but of course I could be bias.

Here is my list of targets I would like:

* Windows (OpenGL & DirectX)
* Mac OSX
* Linux
* iOS
* Android
* HTML5
* Windows Phone (maybe...)

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#2]
http://marksibly.blogspot.co.nz/

muddy_shoes(Posted 2015) [#3]
I suggest looking at emscripten as a build path to HTML5 support.

impixi(Posted 2015) [#4]
@therevills

No. Monkey 1 for the old targets. Monkey 2 for:

* Windows / DX12
* Linux / Vulkan
* XBox One
* PS4

;)

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#5]
...and...

* Macos
. Android
* ios
* Ouya
* Shield
* Raspberry Pi

These are all very unixish Os's, with threads, processes, filesystems, sockets etc that I don't think will be hard to support using opengl and openalsoft.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2015) [#6]
I'd stick Raspberry Pi at the top of that list myself!

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#7]
Hey Mark, will the new unified app model across Windows 10 platforms be supported? Looks like it will hit phone, tablet, PC and Xbox One all in one fell swoop.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#8]
Xbox One support would be a major plus, the ID@Xbox program could be a great avenue and a real plus point for Monkey2.

PS. Where do we apply to beta alpha/beta test? :)

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#9]
I'm for XboxOne and PS4 also :).

Difference(Posted 2015) [#10]
PLEASE make the Windows target use the new Windows 10 Unified App system, so we can target Windows Phone too.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2015) [#11]
Thankfully Microsoft appear to have finally gotten to the Universal platform although I don't blame Mark for not including Windows stuff in this first release as he's been through XNA, Xbox, WP7, WinRT and WP8. Fingers crossed it becomes the platform envisaged and we can have a target for it soon! I guess we can always convert it from Android/iOS initially using the tools announced at Build.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#12]
I just released a BlitzMax game on Steam and got a good mention on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/20/a-genteel-verdict-regency-solitaire/

It uses Direct X. I need DX for commercial PC games on Steam and on the casual portals.

If you add that I'll throw money at you. That is all.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#13]
It uses Direct X. I need DX for commercial PC games on Steam and on the casual portals.

For Steam you will get away with just OpenGL... I do agree we need DX for casuals portals.

Grey Alien(Posted 2015) [#14]
I know in theory OpenGL is OK for Steam but the Crypt of the NecroDancer dev added in his own DX support for example. OpenGL still experiences more support issues.

taumel(Posted 2015) [#15]
What about Vulkan and Metal?

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#16]
I'm so looking forward to having a play with Vulkan! Doubt it'll be ready for 'primetime' for a few years yet though.