Evaluating to buy Monkey

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Evaluating to buy Monkey

TransDiv(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi

I'am evaluating to buy Monkey, but first want an advice. I want to make an educative game in flash. Not sure which one will be more productive : Adobe Flash itself (CS4), or the Monkey programming language.

Thx in Advance
TransDiv

CGV(Posted 2012) [#2]
It depends on how you define productive.

There's a steep learning curve with the Flash authoring tool, far greater than Monkey's learning curve so you'll get to the finished product quicker with Monkey. Even more so if you already know a Blitz dialect.

Although once you've learned how to use Flash it would be quicker to knock out small simple games with it but emphasis on small and simple.

But, if you're only interested in Flash development there are free alternatives.

Check out the Flash Game Dojo, it contains all the info you'll need.

I use Flixel myself but to someone starting out today i would recommend FlashPunk instead, it has better and more up to date docs.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

TransDiv(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thx for the Info. Flash Game Dojo have the same flexibility to create any kind of simple flash 2D games like a language like Monkey?

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#4]
monkey is a good choice cos you have the option to go on other platforms.

Monkey uses a fast method of rendering on flash 'drawpixels' which you would end up using anyway after researching.

I dont see any disadvantage to using monkey

CGV(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thx for the Info. Flash Game Dojo have the same flexibility to create any kind of simple flash 2D games like a language like Monkey?

Yes, both Flixel and Flashpunk are completely flexible just like monkey.

The only difference is that they are Flash only. I mentioned them because you specifically said you wanted to make a Flash game.

If you feel you might in the future want to port the game over to ios/android or html5 then you're better off going with monkey.