TCP/Networking In Monkey

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/TCP/Networking In Monkey

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

Hope you are well, its been a while since I posted in here but have been lurking from time to time. Hey to the old gang and howdy to the new!

I have a question for anyone doing any coding using Monkey, quite simply, how is the network support in there.

I'm hovering over the buy button every day but the project I have in mind would work best with a player vs player over the net option. Ideally matches between different device types too (i.e. PC vs Android).

I spotted there is a couple of libraries on the monkeycoder site but wanted to know how mature they are or if monkey now had native TCP comms. Im not bothered about HTML5 platform at the moment as I know this is quite restricted but it would be good to cover most of the other target platforms.

Unfortunately I cant post this question over at monkeycoder until I buy it, and I cant even search the forums for an answer so I figured I would head here to the trusty BB board.

Peace,
Andy

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
TCP is built in natively now. So no need for external libs. It works not for all targets but GLFW, HTML5, iOS and Android at least.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi Xaron,

THanks for the reply, Is GLFW a windows target or do I need XNA? Ideally for the windows 8 store.

One other monkey question for you - When you compile, does it drop out the project that you can open in visual studio, etc and add to if needed?

A

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#4]
GLFW is both a Mac and Windows target where XNA runs under Windows too but is more for Windows Phone 7 and XBox.

There will be a Windows 8 target soon, even though GLFW (which is just an OpenGL framework) and XNA work in Windows 8 as well.

To your second question, yes it does. That's the beauty of Monkey that you'll always get a native target project which is a VS C++ solution in case of GLFW and a C# project for XNA for instance. So you can always add your own stuff in the end.

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#5]
I cant post this question over at monkeycoder until I buy it, and I cant even search the forums

You can't post a question but you can search the forums. For example, copy and paste the following into Google:

tcp site:blitzbasic.com/Community

I was going to post the URL here, but it is ridiculously long. So you have to paste it in manually.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks Xaron.. I think you have pretty much sold it to me. It would be good to have an xbox client but i guess I can do that bit in C# / XNA if needs be.

@Floyd: Nice tip, didnt think of that.. I was clicking the "search" button on the site which was giving me the middle finger.

couple of other questions (lower priority)..

Are there any libraries for accessing XML based web services (like .NET hosted ones), REST services or JSON services from Monkey, particularly on Android and Iphone or will I have to write these myself using the TCP library?

And also what is the UI support like if I wanted to knock up a business application?

Cheers all, still think I will be purchasing later tonight anyway, but all tips greatly recieved.

Cheers,
A

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
accessing XML based web services (like .NET hosted ones), REST services or JSON services from Monkey

Diddy has an XML parser and there are a couple(?) of JSON parsers, but to call web services you might have to write these yourself.

UI support

Because of all the targets Monkey supports there isnt a native UI built in. There are 3rd party GUIs which looks the same on all targets. Again Diddy has one and also Ziggy's Jungle GUI looks good too.

Last edited 2012

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2012) [#8]
Awesome,

Thanks all.. I will see you in the Monkey forums later this evening to bug you with even more silly questions :-)

Cheers,
A

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#9]
You're welcome. I think Monkey is really worth a purchase. I have all BRL languages but Monkey is way superior.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#10]
For android, this should work well:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3275