Problem with tutorial in Demo monkey

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Problem with tutorial in Demo monkey

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#1]
trying to go through the tutorials in the demo version of Monkey, but keep running into problems. After studying the source of the HTML used in the tutorial, I found that the IDE is stripping away some of the characters. For example, x=i*Sin(i*3+Clock) is being changed to x=iSin(i3+Clock). Another place I found was Field points:=New List<Point> was being stripped to Field points:= New List.

That last one had me scratching my head for a while as I didn't know Monkey needed a type parameter for List, figured it would just work the same as in BlitzMAX.

I would just post this in the bugs forum on the Monkey site, but since I am only using the demo version, I don't have access to the forums over there.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
Can you post some code so I can verify this? You are working with the demo V63, right?

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#3]
It sounds like you are viewing the game source in the IDE's help window.

Don't. The help window / tab of Ted is a web browser not a code viewer so it is of course removing all <tags> and any characters that aren't legal HTML characters such as *.

[edit] after testing, the new editor Ted for monkey does indeed have a bug so if you drag and drop a monkey file onto it, it does indeed load into the help window causing the above confusion.

I have posted this bug report for you here:

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3931

Last edited 2012

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#4]
I am actually viewing the source code included in the help files. When you first start the IDE, you get the help "home" page showing with these choices.

Getting started - Your journey starts here!
Sample programs - A taste of what Monkey can do.
Tutorials and articles - Tutorials and backgrounders.
Modules reference - The Monkey modules in all their glory.
Language reference - The lowdonw on the Monkey programming language.
Credits - Who did what.

Click on "Tutorials and articles" and you get

Start with First Monkey steps and Drawing with images, some nice beginner tutorials by Simon Armstrong.

Learn Monkey with this friendly beginners guide by James Boyd (pdf).

View the Monkey Pixels tutorial by Robbert Prins (pdf).

Follow the Path of the Monkey by Patrick Strandell.

Check out invaderJim's great new YouTube tutorials.

Click on "Drawing with images" and you get a tutorial with samples included. One of the sample code has the line
Field points:=New List
Which is incorrect. It should read
Field points:=New List<Point>
but the <Point> is being stripped from the document.

I understand that you shouldn't use the help page to view code, but the samples in the actual help files should display correctly.

Using Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. SP1