Questions about Monkey...

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Questions about Monkey...

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm thinking on getting Monkey for a possible project, but I have some questions about it, specially for those who already made games on iOS with it:

- Can Monkey 'handle' a game like Plants vs Zombies, without slowdowns? I remember running an old sample on Android, and it was really slow :(

- Is there anyway to use iAds in Monkey? Or I would have to take the XCode project and add it myself?

Since I can't make head or tails of obj-c, I would like very much to avoid it altogether :P

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
>Can Monkey 'handle' a game like Plants vs Zombies

Yep, iOS is a lot faster than Android (although Android isnt that slow, you just have to be careful when the gc is called).

> Is there anyway to use iAds in Monkey?

People over on the Monkey forum have asked about iAds, but it looks like no-one has done it yet... but you can do Admobs pretty easily.

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#3]
Not having iAds is a shame...much easier to be paid from Apple than Admob here in Brazil :(

Glad to know Monkey is up in rendering speed for this, as soon as I finish writting some game-docs, I'll be experimenting with it again ^_^

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#4]
I had iAds working last year but they were a total failure. After switching it seemed Admob was 100 times more popular with advertisers.

The Android target now uses GL not the Java canvas so hopefully you will find your monkey tests run a bit faster.

Last edited 2012

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#5]
One more question: is it possible to draw parts of the screen zoomed in?

I have this feature in a poker game I've made on Android - if the user chooses the "Zoom" option, I hide the left side of the screen, zooming in showing pretty much just the cards - which would be really nice for small screens.

On Android, since I'm using canvas there, it's just a matter of copying just part of the buffer where I draw everything... can it be done also on Monkey?

I've already ported that game to HTML on the Monkey demo, and altough it was a pain to do it, It's almost finished - so I would pretty much like to know about this, to get the payed version of Monkey and publish it on iOS.

Oh, and one more question: is there anyway to load binary files? All I could find was "LoadString"... and storing data as text files is usually a good waste of space :(

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#6]
Well, if I'm not mistaken you can use matrices to do that.

There seems to be a sample related to this, drawing several graphics with different transf. matrices.

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#7]
Hah! Got the zoom part working :)

Just had to use "Translate" and "Scale" (to offset the screen to the left, and then scale so it only shows the part I want).

Now, to save the config file, and to check why my bitmap font is showing artifacts on 'normal' resolution (scaled up, it shows correctly!)

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#8]
One more question,since I can't seem to find the answer: does monkey have pixmaps already? Or any way to manipulate images loaded? I remember seeing something about it...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#9]

does monkey have pixmaps already?

No.

But.... it's possible to make one. In minib3d I created TPixmap using DataBuffers. In that version, it's only for opengl targets (ios, android, glfw) but can be adopted for other targets (i did an html5 and Rone did an xna version).

Unfortunately, it isn't standard in monkey/mojo and mojo prevents being extended so we can't make easy plug-n-play extensions for mojo compatibility.

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#10]
Oh well :(

Guess I have to plan what I was going to do all over again :(

Edit: not even some way to load the image data myself (would be really crazy to do it with loadstring...) and drawing it 'by hand', or at least creating an image out of it?

Thing is, I wanted to do a very simple puzzle game - with lots of pictures.
(Just look at my sig the 'puzzle trip:rio' game)

Instead of having to pre-render every picture, with every possible 'piece size and shape', which would be a lot of data, I (at least on blitzmax) just load the picture and the shapes as pixmaps - then copy parts of the image into the pixmap were alpha>0 (keeping the alpha value) to generate the final pieces.

Guess it won't be possible to do that in monkey :(

Last edited 2012

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#11]

Thing is, I wanted to do a very simple puzzle game - with lots of pictures.

This is another great example of why pixmap is needed in monkey for all targets.