Monkey > C++ > Linux?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey > C++ > Linux?

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#1]
Although the monkey compiler isn't available for Linux, I was wondering what the implications would be for using Monkey to produce C++ code and then compiling this on Linux manually? Does it produce any C++ code that relies on anything not available in Linux?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#2]
The STDCPP target uses MinGW (gcc/g++) to build, so the code it produces should compile fine on Linux.

However, STDCPP only allows for the creation of simple command-line applications, unless you write wrappers for 3rd-party libraries.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#3]

Although the monkey compiler isn't available for Linux, I was wondering what the implications would be for using Monkey to produce C++ code and then compiling this on Linux manually? Does it produce any C++ code that relies on anything not available in Linux?

On the face of it, you could look at implementing your own "Linux" target, maybe hack the life out of one of the original target files, I mean, if someone can get this grafting on an Amiga, I'll put my house on it that Linux wouldnt be as much of a chew (Other then the OS itself hehehe)!

Dabz

Leon Brown(Posted 2012) [#4]
I could look into that for the project I'm creating. Just bought Monkey, but not had a proper look at it yet. One thing I don't like about C++ is that it's a real pain to set up with IDE's - at least from my experience. I've been experimenting with Geany IDE for Python - does anyone know if this is easy to use with C++?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#5]
Geany works with C++ out-of-the-box. The only real problem it has is when people use the .h extension instead of .hpp or .hxx or whatever for header files, whereupon it will assume that they're supposed to be C and get all confused, because it does everything on a file-by-file basis.

However, bear in mind that C++ is the most complicated language in common use (in grammatical terms), while Geany is extremely lightweight. If you intend to write rather than simply read code, you may need something more powerful. (Heh, this is why it can work out of the box - it doesn't really do much!)

Geany is a lovely editor, anyway.

bruZard(Posted 2012) [#6]
for linux you have to create a new target how i did for amiga. Keep in mind that you cannot compile on linux for linux. if you want to do that you have to port "trans" to linux.

My amiga target based on the stdcpp target, i think this is the easiest way to create new targets. But you can also create targets for other languages like basic, python or whatever you prefer.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#7]
Trans itself should port to Linux OK -- I did it here. Just build it for STDCPP on Windows/Mac, then take the generated main.cpp and build that on Linux using g++. You can then build via Linux command-line for both HTML5 Mojo and STDCPP.

(The latest 0.52b version.txt file says the makemeta tool (written in BMX) is no longer required, so in theory it should be easier still.)

Last edited 2012

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#8]
I've been looking at GTK+monkey but only looking, not really THINKING yet. I need to finish my game first.