Monkey ide's ?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey ide's ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
Is there any other good IDE's for it, other than jungle as I refuse to pay amp thy or bi annual licence fee for an IDE .

I don't mind if it's a paid or free IDE as long as its good, and a fair price.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
They say Jedit is very adequate for most purposes.

But I think other than Jungle IDE your options are all "programmer editors" rather than "true" IDEs. The plus side is that such tools are easy to write plugins for; the downside is that they simply can't do as much.

If you're feeling adventurous, it shouldn't take too long to write a plugin for a different text editor yourself (Geany is a really nice "Blitzy" one; Nano is delightfully minimal and therefore setting it up is very quick).

I assume that there's also an Emacs-mode for it, and has been since 1998 because Emacs is just better like that.

Last edited 2011

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#3]
The annoying thing is that I had always been planning to get Jungle, but I just cant bring myself to pay two payments annually for what is essentially a text editor, not saying that it's not good , clearly it is or I would not want it in the first place.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#4]
There is a free version of Jungle IDE available.
What do you mean with "two payments annually"?
Buy a lifetime license and you are finished.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#5]
The answer is no.

The only alternative is write your own or use a plugin.

The good plugins tend to be for editors that also cost real money (TextMate etc) so you need to decide how much time and money you want to put in.

As for whats fair, you should consider the authors of boutique software that maintain personal commitments to both a professional and amateur user base know whats fair.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
If you're using it seriously, get JungleIDE. The cost is reasonable for what it does.

If you're using it as a plaything, make do with Monk.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#7]
I wrote Zombie Trailer Park, Driller Bunny and Hunt or DIe in Monk. It was OK.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
It would be nice to have a Monkey Plugin for FlashDevelop IDE ;)

For me any IDE for an OO language must have IntelliSense...

If you're using it as a plaything, make do with Monk.

If you're using it as a plaything, make do with the Free version of JungleIDE : http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=375

;)

Last edited 2011

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#9]
The Major issue I have with this skid is not that the IDE is not good work, or that the developer should not profit from their work, of course they should, My objection is that I refuse to become a subscriber of an IDE paying out potentially hundreds of pounds over and above what they value a life time licence at.

Some one opting to pay the subscription, after only 1 year is then getting shafted in the proverbial ass, and paying increasingly more money than they need to or needed to, had they had the available funds for a life time licence.

I still want the IDE, and will just wait a little longer until I have the 65 quid I need for a lifetime licence, because as I said I think its good, and worth the money. but its not worth subscribing to.

What's to stop some one buying one six month licence, and then just using the IDE for as long as they can in the state it's left in after the licence runs out, the only reason anyone would need to buy another six months would be if BRL/Monkey got an update that Broke the IDE.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#10]
What's to stop some one buying one six month licence, and then just using the IDE for as long as they can in the state it's left in after the licence runs out

Nothing... and with Ziggy's licence you can just do that, after the 6 months you don't receive any of the updates.

Ziggy doesnt stop you using the IDE once your licence runs out...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#11]
It would be nice if they reduced the 6 month licence to a monthly one and reduced the amount paid to something like £3.00 per month , that spreads the lifetime price over two years is more appealing to people in the current market as its more affordable which brings in more sales.

Add some drm to the monthly subs users so they need to keep paying, and give a drm free to those that get the lifetime . Finally once some o e has subbed for 2 years upgrade them to drm free.

But hay that's just what I would do.

I'm still gona get the lifetime license just. We'd to wait a little longer for it.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#12]
I'm building this as a side project:-

http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/topic,192.0.html

Havent worked on it for a bit now, its one of them none graphical projects I prefer doing when doing game media gets on top of me... But, planning to go back to it when I get a few things sorted.

It currently works on windows, osx and ubuntu (via VirtualBox), though, I cannot offically state when I'll head back in.

Dabz

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#13]
Yeah I'v been watching that dabz.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#14]

Yeah I'v been watching that dabz.

I promise I'll get back to it, but, I've got my home page to finish, sorting out a couple of games, then, I'll be back to the mundane task of drawing, which will mean I'll end up working on that too! ;)

Dabz

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#15]
Dab, not sure what your eventual plan is, but if your not selling it would you consider open source perhaps it could be the monkey equivilant of the max community IDE ?

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#16]

Dab, not sure what your eventual plan is, but if your not selling it would you consider open source perhaps it could be the monkey equivilant of the max community IDE ?

Its not really about selling, or anything like that, its just something I like to poke away at when I get annoyed at spending 3 days drawing something, only to find it looks rubbish and chuck it away! ;)

Though, I'll keep that on board me auld fraggle! :)

Dabz

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#17]
Just some clarifications about Jungle Ide license:

1.-When you buy ANY jungle ide license (6 months or lifetime) you can use the ide for ever, no time restrictions.

2.- You don't have to buy more licenses in order to continue using the IDE once the updates period has run out. But notice that with a 6 months license, you get only updates during six months. In the other hand, when you have a Lifetime license, your IDE is always updated, for ever, no need to pay or worry for anything else.

3.- The lifetime license also gives you access to the downloads section of the Jungle Ide website forver. A six months license will only allow you to download commercial versions of Jungle IDE while the license is active.

4.- Jungle Ide stores all its updates in a folder in your Jungle Ide framework folder (this folder is in the "Documents" folder).Updates are acumulatives and can be used as a rollback for any version, so if you ever want to rollback to a previous version, it'll be there, just apply the "update" to roll back it.

Last edited 2012