Monkey to Max ?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey to Max ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
has anyone thought about converting monkey code to max for the purpose of debugging?

syntax wise their a lot alike, of course, and structure wise with monkey being setup the way it is , I think it should be fairly easy to write something to directly port monkey code into Max code.

You could then debug in max, find the issue and fix it in your monkey code.

while Im here, and I hate to gripe about something I dont actually own yet, but DAMN! the ide / editor debugger sucks ass, some one would have to explain to me why its as good as or on par with Max.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
There's an ongoing project for it... but wouldn't it make more sense to just add proper debugger integration to Monkey itself? The fact that it goes through an intermediate high-level language is not an obstacle to this.

I don't own Monkey myself yet either... I'd kinda assumed it would have stepping debugger integration, at least on the C++ target.

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#3]
Rumor has it that Mark is working on debuggers for some of the targets, but you could incorporate a 3rd party debugger for windows since there is a mingw target... (gdb->beaver debugger). Android has a trace log, I use that sometimes. OSX has a nice opengl profiler.

Truthfully, this is a BIG gripe against monkey right now. We've all complained about it. (Segmentation faults because your array went out of bounds! ugh)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#4]
GOD!!.. I'v actually just made another post, a game I made , small x's n o's game and the arrays in that were a nightmare, in the end I did most of it in Max, and then pulled it into monkey when I had the bounds sorted out.

Been programming for years, but I cant go by a single project with at least once , forgetting that an array starts at 0 and not 1.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#5]
While it's not as good as proper debugger support, if bounds-checking is a problem for you, you could always add a wrapper function around your array accesses.

All of the targets except for Flash (and possibly JavaScript) will inline tiny helper functions where it would be faster, and if you use an "If DOCHECK" block (to choose between checked and unchecked), they'll optimise out the irrelevant branch as long as DOCHECK is a constant, so there should be no performance impact.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#6]
I think it should be fairly easy to write something to directly port monkey code into Max code.

Its pretty easy..... apart from Monkey has interfaces. Feel free to continue my work I've checked MonkeyMax into the Diddy SVN:

http://code.google.com/p/diddy/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fmonkeymax

I havent touched it for ages now, but it did work okay. I had an image with animation moving around the screen. So it's just need wrapping the other functions, then trying to get the matrix stuff working and as I said the interfaces....