Mac Mini ?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Mac Mini ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm in no way a mac person so this might be a rather idiotic question..

A mac Mini, cool looking little mini desktop deal, is anyone using one of those with Monkey & xCode ?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
I know several people use Mac Mini for monkey/xcode.

I like my iMac though. No wires except the power cable.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#3]
It works for me!

Winni(Posted 2011) [#4]
The Mac Mini G4 was my first own Mac and it's still being used by a friend of mine. I also owned an Intel Mini a couple of years ago. They're awesome little machines.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#5]
I have the latest. It's very, very fast. And so small :)

Panno(Posted 2011) [#6]
works fine here

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#7]
what comes in the box, do you need to also buy a mac monitor, and mac mouse & keys ?

or can I plugin an old usb key board,mouse and a standard pc monitor ?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#8]
or can I plugin an old usb key board,mouse and a standard pc monitor ?

This is fine - it's largely intended for PC users who already have all that stuff.

Note however that while any standard keyboard will work, the buttons are different so you may want to replace that in the long term. Aside from the Apple buttons instead of Alt, Ctrl, Windows/Super, there are also some differences in the actual character layout if you're using a UK PC layout.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#9]
ah, guess it uses the US layout.

thanks for the info, thats something I can muddle through with until I can get a mac keyboard.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#10]
Are you buying it used?
If you are, make sure it is at minimum Intel Core 2 Duo as Monkey is not compatible with PPC Macs or Core Duo processors..

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#11]
Monkey is not compatible with PPC Macs or Core Duo processors

...depending on your definition of "compatible", and what you want to do with it, I would have thought this is something that can be fixed by the sufficiently interested user? (i.e. you can't make a G4 compile for iOS, but I thought you can make the C++ target run on anything with a C++ compiler, right?)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#12]
How much is a used one normally ?

And will. He k eBay. But was thinking about a new one .

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#13]
you won't have to worry about it then.

@Yasha
maybe I should had repharsed it to " If he doesn't want to struggle more than with the basic stuff than stay away from them." Lion is supposed to be incompatible with core duo macs but I am sure with enough research you can get it to run with Lion. So nothing is written in stone. I also doubt he is really interested in going through the process. I guess you are smart enough to help him trough whatever obstacles are in his way. Right? ;-)

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#14]
How much is a used one normally ?

Check apple.com, the official store also sells refurbed and older models if you're on a budget.

Last edited 2011

*(Posted 2011) [#15]
I am using a 2009 mac mini, I upgraded the ram to 4Gb myself and it runs like a dream. Monkey, BlitzMax etc all work perfect.

I would not recommend the 1Gb ram mac mini though as it can cause problems when running some apps, since I put 4Gb ram in I have had no problems whatsoever :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#16]
Another option would be a hackintosh solution, where you just buy the OS and install it on a normal PC.

jkrankie(Posted 2011) [#17]
I've been using a Mac Mini for a while now, and i'm actually pretty impressed with how well it goes!

Cheers
Charlie