LoadString, os and Html5

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/LoadString, os and Html5

orgos(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi recently I download the MonkeyDemo45c and try to test some features.

I guess that the os module its not compatible with HTML5 or True?

I try to use os.LoadString() and get this error "Identifier LoadString not found", and the used code is:

Local aa:String = os.LoadString("lang.as")

Before I import the os module using: Import os

I saw the LoadString function only support .txt .xml and .json extensions, I have a ResourceManager class that use .ini files to read resource definitions. (Also I implement class to read and interact with Ini files, but I don't have a way to put it on monkey official site, cause I can't have a full version of monkey. Any idea about this?)

So Mark its hard to include .ini files extension to embed datas on main.js file?

I guess that having a function to embed files inside main.js file with any extension is really usefully, this way the developers can embed any type of file and load it latter with LoadString...

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
os module its not compatible with HTML5

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
If you check the docs > Modules reference > os:

IMPORTANT! The os module is currently only available for the glfw and stdcpp targets.

Re:LoadString yeah its pretty annoying with the limited formats... you can just rename the ini file to a txt file and it will still work though...

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
A problem I found with LoadString is that it doesn't behave consistently across all targets.

In iOS, if the loaded string contains a Chr(0) (which game data files often do), then the string will not load. The same code works perfectly in HTML5. It might go tits-up in other targets too - haven't tried, but its this kind of oddity that's taken up far more of my time than I would have liked.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#5]
In the full version I am positive that LoadString works on HTML5. I just used it to load map data in a project. But I am importing mojo and not oS seperately and I just call LoadStirng and not os.LoadString.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
Just rechecked it. There is an os version of LoadString and a mojo version. Use that one.