HTTP Server 404 error

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/HTTP Server 404 error

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm currently trying the last demo version of Monkey (45c).
The HTTP Server correctly working but the "Build and Run" launched browser page point me to an unavailable MonkeyGame.html.

Not a big deal through since I only have to drag and drop the correct build page in my browser to fix this.

Does the Monkey Demo link to incorrect folder? If yes, anyway to fix that?

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#2]
Maybe there's some confusion about port numbers. That's just a guess.

I compiled an example with the full version of Monkey.
It ran correctly and the Chrome tab showed localhost:63109/MonkeyGame.html.

Closing the tab, leaving MServer running, then building and running again shows exactly the same thing every time. But if I shut down MServer before build/run I get a new number such as 63118. It still runs properly from the Monk IDE.

EDIT: Now that I think about it there are several versions of Monkey on my PC. I sometimes get a popup message that my firewall is blocking "some features" of MServer, whatever that means. I have to click the "Allow this program..." button before it will run.

Last edited 2012

Floyd(Posted 2011) [#3]
I just tried the 45c demo, on Windows 7, 64-bit. There was a message about MServer not having a valid digital signature to verify the publisher. But after clicking the "Allow..." button it ran successfully.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#4]
I allowed the program in my Firewall(even deactivate it to be sure), the Port server and URL are correct.

It's really like if nothing ever exist on MServer.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#5]
Just for try today I run "Construct 2" a kind of game maker for HTML5.
And just like Monkey, the server isn't working !?

So it's probably coming from my computer but I have no clue about what's blocking the test run. I turn antivirus, firewall stuff, etc.

I do have a router but since it's a localhost server I probably don't have to look at this.

So don't worry about that, it's just me...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#6]
OK !
Found it :-)

Make sure your host file contain :
127.0.0.1 localhost

Mine didn't for strange reasons...
I often install a large amount of network software, one probably mess with my host file.

*Under Windows, the host file is located at:
%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
That is very strange! My host file for Window 7 64 bit actually says "localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself."

What OS are you running?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#8]
Very strange indeed.
I'm running Window 7 32 bit up-to-date.

Warpy(Posted 2011) [#9]
Might this be something to do with the Monkey directory or the .build directory being on a path that the server can't cope with, for example with spaces or special characters?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#10]
@Warpy
Nope, I simply had to change my host file to fix the problem as mentioned before.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#11]
Looks like its a common problem with Windows 7, I found quite a few threads about it... maybe try this solution:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/813347/http-localhost-not-working-on-windows-7-whats-the-problem