MonkeyMax - BlitzMax Target

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/MonkeyMax - BlitzMax Target

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
More info here:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1647

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#2]
Nice one!
Even if I'm getting more and more confuse about Monkey...

My biggest fear is having to "glue" some code here and there in order to use native code from BlitzMax Modules or "x" SDK. Like using a C++ library with BlitzMax. I can't see the big picture yet.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
Cool.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Over on the Monkey forums, Karja has resurrected MonkeyMax:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2560

And by doing so has got me back into it too :)

http://code.google.com/p/diddy/wiki/MonkeyMax

It's even got a logo now:

therevills(Posted 2012) [#5]
Slenkar on the Monkey forums decided to "compile a box2d demo for a laugh" using MonkeyMax and by doing so found some bugs :)

Which are now fixed and the box2d Monkey module now works with MonkeyMax

And heres an updated zip: http://diddy.googlecode.com/files/monkeymax_r384.zip

therevills(Posted 2012) [#6]
Heres a video of MonkeyMax using Box2D:

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#7]
Kewl!!!! :)

Dabz

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#8]
Would it be possible to make a speed comparison between the Brucey Max version of Box2D and the one generated with Monkey?

I'm currently trying to port the last version to BlitzMax but it's a pain. So if a solid solution exist and allow me to use the Monkey syntax, the Max Debugger tools without too much slowdown: that would be perfect !

I guess it's no possible to use Typical BlitzMax Modules?

I'm afraid to loose functionality, speed and stability by porting my engine to Monkey. I'm pretty sure about the loose of functionality but I have no clue on big project for speed and stability.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#9]
Would it be possible to make a speed comparison between the Brucey Max version of Box2D and the one generated with Monkey?

Yeah I guess so, but I'm not really testing Box2D... I was just trying to MonkeyMax to work ;)

I guess it's not possible to use Typical BlitzMax Modules?

I think it might be possible, but of course it wont be cross platform (eg Android, iOS etc). You would need to wrap the functions in Monkey code which calls the BlitzMax module code.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#10]
You would need to wrap the functions in Monkey code which calls the BlitzMax module code.

Funny enough, most of the modules I want to use this way are already wrapped inside BlitzMax from C++.

So I would need to wrap modules in Monkey that are already wrap primarily for Max. Theoretically possible through not recommended for performance + the fact that when you have a problem somewhere it could be in Monkey / Max / C++ (and who knows after ? ASM ^^). Too many layers...

I don't think I will make the move to Monkey this year yet :(
Unless it get a little more desktop friendly maybe.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#11]
EXCELLENT :D

Chroma(Posted 2012) [#12]
Unless it get a little more desktop friendly maybe.

I see Monkey as a mobile solution at the moment too. I'll be glad when it's more like BMax in a sense.

Last edited 2012

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#13]
i'm waiting until more browsers catch up to chrome's capability of running html5. currently firefox, IE, safari and opera suck butt salad.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#14]
@Leon: Chrome was the best at running Monkey HTML5 games at the start, but Firefox actually kicks its ass to hell and back right now. I think HTML5 is a very realistic platform except for Microsoft and IE9... and I think that probably suits them fine.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#15]
hmm i been having issues getting stuff to run on firefox as good as chrome. i got the most recent version of firefox as well.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#16]
I think MonkeyMax is now Monkey/Mojo feature complete :)

Recently added:

* Music and Sound commands
* LoadState / SaveState
* OnResume and OnSuspend
* Config variables

Latest zip can be downloaded here: http://code.google.com/p/diddy/downloads/detail?name=monkeymax_r417.zip&can=2&q=

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#17]
Hi therevills would you mind explaining what the advantage of converting a monkey project into a BlitzMax one is? I know that monkey can make standalone exes anyway and I heard that BlitzMax is better for PC/Mac apps (not sure on details of why). So how does porting a monkey app to BlitzMax without doing additional BlitzMax code improve things or are the BlitzMax modules just better for exes or something? Thanks!

ErikT(Posted 2012) [#18]
I heard that BlitzMax is better for PC/Mac apps (not sure on details of why).

I get smoother screen scrolling and updating in general for the blitzmax target. It also builds alot faster than glfw or xna and there's no need for openal32.dll.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#19]
explaining what the advantage

Heres a few:

* DirectX Target
* Proven stable Windows and Mac Target
* Linux supported (Monkey does not offically support Linux)
* Debugger
* Easy to add code to change resolution/fullscreen etc

With GLFW you can not go between Window and Fullscreen modes and GLFW is just OpenGL.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#20]
Aha, many thanks for the summary!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#21]
I get smoother screen scrolling and updating in general for the blitzmax target. It also builds alot faster than glfw or xna and there's no need for openal32.dll.

For the particular project i'm working on, i get similar performance in scrolling and FPS for both the BMAX and GLFW targets. I always get the best performance when using XNA though. And Blitzmax does create slightly larger executables than GLFW too. But the obvious benefits of using Blitzmax over GLFW definitely outweighs it all totally :).

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#22]
Just found this after starting a new thread. So will this work on new Monkey X versions?

I can't see any BMAX target when I overwrite the my monkey x directory.