Xcode

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Xcode

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#1]
While it appears that in order to get Xcode, you have to either pay $99 or upgrade to Lion to get Xcode for free...but, that's not the case.

You can download Xcode 3.x version free from the Apple website and it works just fine with Monkey. Of course to get your apps on the market you'll need to pay the $99, but that can come later and when you're actually ready to do it!

Hope this helps someone.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
I just install xcode3 from my mac cd.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#3]
Same here... Also, I do recall that you can register as a Apple Developer (Free of charge) and download the various tools, and run code on the iOS Simulator.

It only really gets to the $99 point when you want to do two things, test it on a real device and submit to the apple app store.

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
It only really gets to the $99 point when you want to do two things, test it on a real device and submit to the apple app store.
So the $99 in question is actually for an Apple Developer Licence, rather than for XCode? That makes more sense!

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yep, Xcode is free for d/l. But for a while Apple was charging like $5 or something for Xcode 4 before Lion came out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yeah I just got Xcode through the Mac App Store. I am a member of the apple dev thing though, so I can make iPhone apps and test them on the phone. Actually, I had to pay $99 for Mac and also $99 for iOS, they weren't both included for the same fee. This was back in Feb. Turns out I've wasted 6 months of my iOS fee. Should have paid for it when I really started using it.

Last edited 2011

taumel(Posted 2011) [#7]
The AppStore only lets you download the latest XCode for Lion. NoGo if you're on Snow Leopard, which quite sucks.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#8]
is that true?

I downloded xcode 4.0 from the AppStore three months ago and it works on my Snow Leopard Macbook.

have they changed it since?

Last edited 2011

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#9]
I downloded xcode 4.0 from the AppStore three months ago and it works on my Snow Leopard Macbook.

Yep, after Xcode 4.1 you will need Lion to install.