No audio in horsey demo.

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/No audio in horsey demo.

sswift(Posted 2011) [#1]
I tried the Monkey demo just now, and found that I wasn't getting any sound in the horsey demo in Firefox 5. I tried running it in IE instead, and there I did get sound.

Looking at this page:
http://html5doctor.com/native-audio-in-the-browser/

And the source code, I've determined the problem is that horsey uses mp3 files for its sounds, while Firefox doesn't support MP3. Firefox does support OGG, but IE does not, so switching to OGG wouldn't help.

So I guess my question is: What is the solution for this, aside from having all your sounds stored in an uncompressed format?

I would have expected Monkey would decompress the sounds before it tries to play them if this is an issue. Alternatively, it could allow you to specify more than one sound file and it would load the type most appropriate for the platform. I don't know if Monkey will even tell you what browser you're running in. If it does, I suppose we could roll our own solution but if not, I don't see a workaround for this, unless perhaps loadsound fails on browsers which don't support that particular file format.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#2]
The solution is to use Adobe Flash.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
they are limitations imposed by the various browsers -- other than including everything twice in different formats, I don't think there's a way around that.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
HTML5 is probably the last Monkey target you want to be using right now anyway. Its only advantage is that there are no SDKs to install to get it to work (which is why its in the demo I guess).

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
I only use HTML5 for prototyping since its very quick to compile too... (using Chrome and ogg sounds)

And the demo version is way out of date - hint hint @ Mark ;)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
I only use HTML5 for prototyping since its very quick to compile too... (using Chrome and ogg sounds)
Same. But I've just bought a full size USB Mac keyboard for when I inevitably finish off my iOS projects on the Mac since I simply cannot tolerate the layout of the wireless keyboard. God alone knows why they didn't just bundle a full size one with the iMacs.

(actually, they probably did it because they know mugs like me will pay another £40 for it).

Matty(Posted 2011) [#7]
I use html5 to make sure it compiles...then test in flash since it has about the same performance as android...on my machine so far....

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#8]
Horsey demo uses MP3, so it will not work on Windows, only Flash and maybe HTML5, wherever companies have licensed the MP3 stuff.

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#9]
These are great tips, thanks!