How would you rate jungle ide?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/How would you rate jungle ide?

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#1]
I've just got monkey pro and have enough money to get jungle ide. I just want to hear peoples opinion on how good it is compared to jedit and of coarse the default ide.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Jungle IDE is a chauffeur-driven Limo with heated massage seats, its own fridge with chilled champagne, a selection of foodstuffs including pickled onion monster munch, twiglets, and space raiders, a 24-speaker audio system playing all of your favourite songs, and a butler named Jeeves who keeps the snacks coming.

Monk is a unicycle with a busted seat. It'll get you to the same place as the Limo, but by God you will suffer.

Last edited 2011

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#3]
LOL, Well put. I really shouldn't have put "compared to the default ide" because there's no competition. But compared to other ides that support monkey like Jedit how does it fair.

Last edited 2011

Volker(Posted 2011) [#4]
Why don't you just test it?
If I understand it correctly, the lite version works as
demo for the first 30 day with all features.
"The Jungle Ide demo is currently deployed together with the free Jungle Lite package. This demo works for 30 days and, after this period, the demo will self-convert to Jungle Lite, that is a free, smaller and limited version of Jungle Ide. So, to get the Jungle Ide demo, just install Jungle Lite in your system."

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
@Gfk - lol!

@Volker - Yep thats right

@Pete - Download it from here:
http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=375

Last edited 2011

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#6]
To be honest i didn't even try the demo of monkey :Op

Its the android part of it I'm interested in, as the demo is just html5 i thought id just jump right in and buy it. As I don't know the language yet i thought people who did would be a better judge on how good the ide was. For example when I got Blitzmax I thought the default ide was as good as they get. But i can see now that there are better on the market.

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#7]
Monk is about as good as the blitzmax IDE, fine for me,

Amon(Posted 2011) [#8]
Monk is an ok IDE and from what I've seen there are some that prefer the simplicity of the IDE.

JungleIDE; refer to GFK's post to know how good it is. :)

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#9]
I wouldn't even call Monk an IDE. It's a text editor which happens to have an integrated compile button.

Coding with a proper IDE (that manages your project and actually bothers to read your code rather than just highlighting individual words) is quite a different endeavour and takes a bit of a mental switchover.

So it also depends quite a bit on what you want from your tool, and how much you want done for you vs. a box to type in and feed text straight to a compiler. Many people prefer the second.

Last edited 2011

Grey Alien(Posted 2011) [#10]
The funny thing is, I used the BMax IDE to make 4 commercial games, I only used a "proper" IDE (BLIDE) for Spring Bonus. It was much better/faster though, and so I'll be getting Jungle instead of Monk based on everyone's recommendations.