monkey ide?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/monkey ide?

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2011) [#1]
What ide's are available for Monkey ? (free or commercial)
Does anyone know if Protean will work with Monkey?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
No it won't. get jungleide.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#3]
I use jedit, it has autocomplete and lots of other coolies when used with monkey. It runs on linux mac and windows.

Look at this thread:
http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/topic,183.0.html
I list all the files and plugins you need.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
When you say "autocomplete", I presume you mean only for native functions etc? It will still be oblivious to globals/classes etc in my own code, right?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yes and no. It can autocomplete all the monkey stuff, but also all used words in the same document. -they appear in non bold. (see screenshot above)
(...so kind of :D)

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#6]
Well that looks like an easy winner!

Adding plugins to these kinds of text editors isn't too hard, anyway. The same-file limitation will probably be fixed by someone soon if Monkey gets to be as popular as it should be.

<Idiotic thought> Monkey compiles to Java, right? Does that mean one can write Eclipse plugins in Monkey? A Monkey plugin written in itself would be mightily awesome. I might try that at some point, assuming I haven't misunderstood how the multi-targets thing works.

For that matter, it's long past the point where all the Blitz languages should have Eclipse plugins. Suddenly I feel the need to learn how to write them... </Idiotic thought>

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
Lol in theory you could write an eclipse plugin for anything, however you need to read a library of information on how-to... eclipse is massive.

But i am sure whoever does write an eclipse, codeblocks, codelite (etc..) plugin for all the blitz languges will be hailed a hero and fully deserves to get the blitz medal of honor.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
whoever does write an eclipse

Brucey and Samah tried to write an Eclipse one for BlitzMax, but because the language is so loose its very very hard to do.

http://code.google.com/p/eclipsemax/

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#9]
But i am sure whoever does write an eclipse, codeblocks, codelite (etc..) plugin for all the blitz languges will be hailed a hero and fully deserves to get the blitz medal of honor
and they might make it onto Mr Sibly's Christmas card list.

Interesting to see the complexity involved in coding an IDE to play ball.

I'm itching to buy a copy of Monkey, might get it for my 40th - I'm just bothered about my increasingly diminishing dev time these days. And I still love playing in B3D.

Last edited 2011

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#10]
Interesting to see the complexity involved in coding an IDE to play ball.
Well, it depends on the IDE features, but providing complete and fast intelliprompt (intellisense in MS therms) can be quite complex on languages with interfaces, overloading, datatype inference and inheritance such as Monkey. the IDE has to work quite a bit like a compiler. Jungle Ide does this pretty well. Still improving it day by day but the Monkey language, from an IDE point of view, is several orders of magnitud more complex that BlitzMax (and honestly not even comparable to b3d).

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#11]
Jungle Ide does provide a complete intelliprompt system, with integrated help, folding, a complete project management system. Additionally, as far as I know, it is currently the only AST based IDE for Monkey and it's been designed to be fast and reliable.

Here you have a screenshot:

It also integrates a documentation tool for Monkey source code that generates HTML-based documentation, and it comes with the FontMachine editor to create nice looking bitmap fonts for your games.

I would recommend anyone interested in using a more featured and "modern" ide, to give Jungle Ide a try. A demo is available to be downloaded in the jungleide website. http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=375

Last edited 2011

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#12]
Jungle is great, just wished there was a Mac version of it also :).

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#13]
Yeah, Jungle is great, but, I'll just chuck it in that I'm working on a multi-platform solution since it's obscene there isnt a decent dedicated IDE for the likes of OSX and Linux:-

http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/topic,192.msg5283.html

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2011) [#14]
"JungleIDE: It's the chimp's cojones"

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#15]

"JungleIDE: It's the chimp's cojones"

It is... But damn ziggy and his ruddy dot net framework! :P

Dabz

Robert Cummings(Posted 2011) [#16]
should be fine if he used mono like everyone else does.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#17]
I would use mono if it was more complete. There are tones of things in mono that are not compatible with .net (not implemented), and also, my docking framework does use quite a bit of user32 calls and other native system calls that do not have a managed alternative. I think it would have been better to rewrite everything in Java, but this would have required like a 2 or more years of dev time.

Matt is doing a great job providing mac compatible editors, and I don't discard creating a Mac Ide myself as I learn Java (I'm learning it now). Obviously, I'm not saying this is going to happen, and if it ever does, it would be a hobbie project.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#18]
Unfortunately with mono you have to start with mono and stick with mono. Start with anything MS and it becomes 'dirty' really quickly.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#19]
But the problem is not only mono itself wich is not as good as Microsoft .net framework. The real issue I would be facing is that I'm using lots of calls to windows APIs that are not available in a managed .net form. Mostly in the docking framework and the syntax renderer (Managed GDI+ is too slow both in mono and MS.

misth(Posted 2013) [#20]
Bum-bum-bum-bumping~!

I use jedit, it has autocomplete and lots of other coolies when used with monkey. It runs on linux mac and windows.

<image>

Look at this thread:
http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/topic,183.0.html
I list all the files and plugins you need.

Since the site is not working anymore, could someone tell me the plugins needed for jEdit so Monkey codes work...? Even Uncle-Google couldn't help me with this.. :'<

I need a good IDE to get into new languages; if the IDE doesn't please me, it's awfully painful to try code anything, since I don't get a good feeling with crappy IDEs.. :D No offence ziggy!

(Would be awesome to have IDEal-like IDE for Monkey!!! I really like it when everything is in different colors.)

Thanks!

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#21]
since I don't get a good feeling with crappy IDEs.. :D No offence ziggy!
No ofense! I understand you very well, that's why I did Jungle Ide.
Would be awesome to have IDEal-like IDE for Monkey!!! I really like it when everything is in different colors.
That's what Jungle Ide does, it highlites using a lexed parser so Globals, Locals, etc are highlighted on different color, based on context, etc. It also highligtes depending on which modules are imported in the program, etc.
I honestly don't think you've tried it.

misth(Posted 2013) [#22]
Thanks ziggy!

I hope I get the money for it soon. I really like intelliprompts too... :D But, so far, this is awesome!

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#23]
Will jungle IDE ever work on osx?

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#24]
@smilertoo: There are no plans for a MacOsX version of Jungle Ide. Some Mac users are using it with Parallels.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#25]

That's what Jungle Ide does, it highlites using a lexed parser so Globals, Locals, etc are highlighted on different color, based on context, etc.

So what language did you write this in?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#26]
I believe Jungle was coded in C#.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#27]
Thanks for that info :)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#28]
It has been written in a mixture of C#, VB.net , and a custom language called jungle assembler (only very small bits of it).
The porting problem has more to do with the internal win32 APIs being used for the whole text rendering. I'm doig some experiments with GTK# in order to build a new IDE framework for future developments, but don't expect this to become a reality anytime soon (if ever).

Derron(Posted 2013) [#29]
If it was only the win32 api I think it should run using wine (which will be faster than running windows in parallels or virtualbox).
Last time I checked Blide it had problems because of the net package you used - can't remember but i thought you used net because the text renderer was a component written using .net .

Just use scintilla or other syntax-highlight-textareas and - in that case - if improving monkey/blitzmax-support, give it back to the community :D.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#30]
Hi ziggy, you mention GTK - have you looked at FLTK? I've written a very basic IDE in BMax and Pure BASIC, but looking at other options right now.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#31]
@Steve ... why should he look at FLTK ... to get the uglyness of the blitzmax linux ide (on linux desktops) ?

FLTK is lightwheight but in the case of ziggy's ide you wont enjoy it when run on a pentium II (especially when background compilation is active :D).

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#32]
Just looking at options Derron.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#33]
Instead of using a os specific gui framework he should consider using a crossplatform solution like wxwindows - which itself takes care of native looks on different platforms.
So you would end up using wxwindows and wxscintilla as textarea. The whole intellisense part then has to be coded by hand but it is achieveable. The logic needed for that thing can be reused and so the only part to do is to code the visual stuff (eg. connect to events and manual draw to the canvas of an textarea).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#34]
The idea of experimenting with a new framework is intended to accomplish a cross platform solution. That's why I choosed managed GTK+, it's cross platform, looks native, and its close to WinForms in many areas.
My windows IDEs use a custom TextEditor component developed by myself, based on the Quantum Whale syntax framework, but the parsers, lexer and everything is abstracted. The component is bascaly used for the rendering.

The whole intellisense part then has to be coded by hand but it is achieveable.
It's already like this. There's no other possible way to do it on languages with inheritance, polymorphism, generics and overloading. It's quite complex.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#35]

The idea of experimenting with a new framework is intended to accomplish a cross platform solution.

Exactly. Derron, GTK and FLTK ARE cross platform. I'm looking at FLTK and C++ right now - but GTK+ does look good.

Impressive work ziggy.