Where to find a good looking font for Monkey ?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Where to find a good looking font for Monkey ?

semar(Posted 2011) [#1]
All,
as far as I know, the default monkey font is there only for test purpose, and it prints white on a black background.

Where could I find some good font ? I guess it should be a graphic sequence of frames, but how to arrange it ? What if, for example, I need special chars like ß or umlaut like ö, ü and the likes ?

The command SetFont( font:Image, firstChar=32 ), as far I understand, states implicitly that the first char in the graphic frame sequence should be the space char - right ?

Please elaborate..

Regards,
Sergio.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
Does it use bitmap fonts? if so, all you need is a bitmap-font generation tool (there are several around, as making bitmap fonts is a common task).
Then use it to raster a font that looks good\is legible in any resolution, preferably a humanist sans-serif typeface such as Verdana.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#3]
Simply make an image strip with all the ascii characters you need in order. The first char is by default the space character. Then simply use "SetFont" and supply your image reference.

Special characters won't appear unless they are in the image strip you supply. Generally this means they won't appear at all if you simply do a standard export of images from an asciii sequence, but there is no reason you cannot make your own characters for the non printable ascii characters and refer to them in your code with the relevant frame.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#4]
You can use AngelFont. Example should be in Monkey/bananas/beaker.
There is an Editor here.

I like Fontmachine more, but the editor is only free
for people owning JungleIde.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#5]
Heiro from coke and code is another:
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/demos/hiero.jnlp

Run it in the browser with Java.

Some bitmap fonts:
http://beeex.net/freebies/fonts/the-10-best-free-pixel-fonts

Last edited 2011