Again: which Android Handy monkey/USB compatible

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Again: which Android Handy monkey/USB compatible

semar(Posted 2011) [#1]
All,
I need an Android Smartphone for testing purpose.

I would like a fast developing pipeline; crucial is, that I can deploy the app on the handy as fast as possible.

I know there are some Android smartphone out there, which monkey can direct compile on. And there are others - like the Simvalley SP-40 for example - where that connection seems not working.

I don't want go to the WLAN and FTP route, basically because I don't have any WLAN here.

And I don't really like the e-mail solution: send e-mail to my self with the app in attachment, open the mail with handy, install the attachment.

So the question: based on your direct experience, and my requirements, which handy model could you suggest?

If the connection between monkey and handy were not possible (direct compile on device), at least I would like to install the app via USB cable.

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
The issue isnt between Monkey and the device, it would be between the device and the OS (ie Windows).

I've got a LG Optiums One and after installing a driver Windows 7 works fine with it... I've tried to get it to connect to my work PC which runs Windows XP and it just wont see it, for some reason. Although I havent had too much time to see whats wrong with it.

I believe all Android devices once connected to the OS would be able to use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) which allows fast deployment of the apk files.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
Translation for the non-German speakers among us: a "handy" (see subject) is what they call a cell phone / mobile phone in Germany.

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#4]
The HTC Wildfire S is a cheap and good android phone for testing, and you can deploy to the device directly through usb without any hassle. Just remember to shut down HTC Sync and set connection type to disk drive first.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
I've got a LG Optiums One and after installing a driver Windows 7 works fine with it...
Same - therevills recommended it to me, actually!

I won't say the Android target was easy to set up, because it was a real ballache thanks to a bug in the Android SDK installer, but once somebody told me about that it was simple enough.

Once its set up, its just a case of switching debug mode on in the phone (and prevent it from sleeping is a good idea too). After that you compile on your PC and the app appears immediately on your phone.

This is with Android Froyo and I'd assume that any Android phone running Froyo or Gingerbread would be capable of the same.

Incidentally, any Optimus One users running Gingerbread yet? Its already rolled out in Romania of all places but afaik the update has yet to reach the civilised world.

semar(Posted 2011) [#6]
@GfK,
which bug do you mind about Android SDK installer ?

So far:
LG Optimus One works fine with windows 7 but not with XP; I have XP..

HTC Wildfire S seems ok; the OS was not specified though.

I believe all Android devices once connected to the OS would be able to use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) which allows fast deployment of the apk files

Does it mean, that with Android Smartphone, an application APK file can always be deployed using the USB cable connected to a pc (without using monkey direct build) ?

Correct me if I'm wrong: we have two deployment scenario here (with no mention of FTP and e-mail deployment):

1) a monkey created app can, through the Android SDK, be deployed directly via USB cable on the smartphone (but not all the android smartphone can do that) using monkey (direct deploy)

2) once created a monkey app, I can compile it through the above SDK to obtain an APK file. This file can be manually deployed (that means without using the monkey direct deploy thing) on the smartphone via USB cable, and later on the smartphone installed (this can all the smartphone with the right USB driver).

Am I right, or am I missing something here ?

Oh, the Optimus One you mean is the P500 ?

Sergio.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
@GfK,
which bug do you mind about Android SDK installer ?
When you launch the installer, it tells you that the Java Development SDK is not installed. I reinstalled it about half a dozen times before posting on the monkey forum for help - that's when it turns out that it happens to everybody - pressing the back button in the installer, then the Next button, fixes it.

Hardly a big issue but it wasted a lot of my time.

[edit] Yep, the Optimus One and P500 are the same thing.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
an application APK file can always be deployed using the USB cable connected to a pc

Yes - it should...

1) a monkey created app can, through the Android SDK, be deployed directly via USB cable on the smartphone using monkey (direct deploy)

Yes, Monkey just uses Ant to use the ADB

2) This file can be manually deployed (that means without using the monkey direct deploy thing) on the smartphone via USB cable, and later on the smartphone installed (this can all the smartphone with the right USB driver).

Yes

Matty(Posted 2011) [#9]
I use a HTC Desire which works well...easy to deploy on.

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#10]
the OS was not specified though.

XP with SP3.