XNA target?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/XNA target?

Jimmy(Posted 2011) [#1]
If you use Monkey and use XNA as target, that will use DirectX/Direct3D right? Using a modern version than DX7?

Would that mean you would get better 2D graphics using Monkey than say DX7 you get with Blitz3D?

Would anyone please with experience tell what they lack from Monkey as of right now compared to Blitz3D (not as much interested in 3D details but all the rest), that would be very interesting to listen to.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#2]
I don't have monkey, but if it uses XNA as a target, you'll end up with something that uses DX9, need the XNA and .Net libraries (huge download) and runs only on cards which has shader model 2.0 or above. (I think that's why the default app for windows uses OpenGL, not XNA).

If you're thinking just windows, you'll better get Blitzmax. You can use DX9, no dependencies needed (only DX9 installed, of course), and no 'shader model' required to run your games.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#3]
For desktop games I would use GLFW or MingW (the forums explain how to set this up). Use XNA for Xbox360 or WP7.

As Slotman explained the main difference is providing the XNA runtime. Can't remember for GLFW (maybe VS2010 C++ runtime?) but MingW requires OpenAL only and run without other extra libraries (I think).

Jimmy(Posted 2011) [#4]
@SLotman Thanks for great explanation, this was exactly the kinds of things I needed to know.

@Matthew Will check those things up, thanks.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
A bigger advantage of XNA will likely be the ability to write for the xbox 360 than create Windows games.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#6]
For desktop games I would use GLFW or MingW (the forums explain how to set this up).

Just to clarify: the target is GLFW (OpenGL apps) - you can use Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express or MingW to compile to that target.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#7]
A bigger advantage of XNA will likely be the ability to write for the xbox 360 than create Windows games.

It's nice to see you stuff open up on both the Xbox and WP7!