Monkey Demo Update?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Monkey Demo Update?

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello, is there any chance of providing a more up to date version of the demo for Monkey?

I`m thinking of buying but the demo is still at version 30 and it seems that lots of cool stuff has been added since that is not in this demo. I would really like to try before parting with nearly £100.

Jason.

orgos(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yes, I think the same. Right now I want to buy Monkey license, but I can't until some couples of month. I want to play with some Monkey features released on recent versions but the last version is 30. Mark please update it.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
It's common among blitz products to have demos using not completely up-to-date versions of the products they demonstrate.
So I think this request is very valid, but will be better heard at the monkeycoder general discussion forums (queue a good, registered soul asking this over there?).

Last edited 2011

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#4]

It's common among blitz products to have demos using not completely up-to-date versions of the products they demonstrate.

I agree although with Monkey demo there is not much you can test even if it was updated.
the demo is designed to work wit html5 only while its real strength is in its cross platform compatibility(translation) which you can't try unless you buy it.
syntax wise it's becoming a richer more complete modern language than Bmax but not having all the new features is hardly a limitation to do what what can be done with it.

I can't guarantee you will like it. I do and everybody in the monkey forum has no real complaints or at least I haven't read any.

Last edited 2011

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#5]
I did a posting in the Monkey forum. I agree with you, the demo should be up to date as well.

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#6]
I think the demo should only be updated if there are bugs which may put off customers, other wise I think all updates and effort should be put into the full version. I think Mark has moved things in the right direction. I will be buying the full version soon.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yes Pete. But it should be almost no effort for Mark to use the same version for the demo as well. Especially now where there are new features and bugfixes in...

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#8]
V30 - V40 is a massive change, with interfaces added and heaps of bug fixes...

We (the buyers of Monkey) "could" actually release a "demo" of Monkey (as it is public domain)... the only issue would be adding the HTML5 part of Mojo.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#9]
Especially now where there are new features and bugfixes in...
Humm, what is the real point of the demo tho?

If it is to provide a "Free" version of Monkey, so that I can program away happily, and only pay for it when I finally have a finished product to sell. Then yes, in this case I want the demo to be the actual product for the one platform. I want to know that any bug fixes and additions are included right away.

However if the point of the demo is for me to be able to see how the syntax of the language works, and if I like that syntax then buy the product, updates, bug fixes licences and all, then I don't think a policy of demo to Product parity is needed.

However (again) when Bmax GC was finished, then the language in the demo was quite different to that of the finished product, so it did need to be updated. So... unless the demo is a form of the language that is in some way syntaxicaly or structurally antiquated compared to the current release build, then I dont think Mark should bother

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#10]
Just wanted to thank Xaron for mentioning this on the Monkey forums.

There were a few little niggles that I wanted to check have been cleared up before I purchase, things like keywords not highlighting. I know that this is nothing major but it was enough to put me off along with a few other things.

Jason.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#11]
things like keywords not highlighting

Thats more to do with Monk, than Monkey... download the lite version of JungleIDE:

http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=375

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
JungleIDE should ship with Monkey, IMHO, with the price increased to cover the Jungle licence cost. With all respect to BRL, JungleIDE is about a million times more powerful than Monk.

Same goes for BLIde - I honestly don't believe I could use BlitzMax without it [whilst remaining relatively sane].

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2011) [#13]
I would rather see Mark's effort go into improving the commercial product for paying customers rather than improving the demo for those who just can't commit.

Last edited 2011

therevills(Posted 2011) [#14]
It would take Mark next to no time to release an updated demo of Monkey...

"Paying customers" = "Paid customers", no more money from us... if there are no more new customers, maybe Mark "might" think its not worth spending anymore effort into Monkey...

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#15]
I think you could setup Code::Blocks to compile Monkey apps, then you would have already a nice IDE for Windows, Linux, Mac.

orgos(Posted 2011) [#16]
An example of malfunction on demo version is the myImage.Width() method where return 0 having an image loaded in myImage variable. I think its a wrong marketing policy :-(

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#17]
I think the demo should not be running unlimited time. I am sure there are people who never intend to buy the full version and hope that someone ships free targets for it.

JungleIDE should ship with Monkey...

Only if it would run on OSX too. Heck I don't know it anyway and I don't miss it. I guess Mark should have shipped Monkey with its first beta IDE. Now there you would have something to talk about. ;-)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#18]
I asked about the beta IDE on the Monkey forums...

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=672#5283

Apparently it was very very basic, had a graphic UI without mouse support, with a look like the DOS IDE's from the turbo pascal times.

[Edit]

LOL - I didnt read who posted the last comment - sorry Mike! ;)

[/Edit]

Last edited 2011