UK Price - Exchange Rate ?

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/UK Price - Exchange Rate ?

QuietBloke(Posted 2011) [#1]
So.. first off.. wow !.. I haven't been here for months so I'm really excited about Monkey. Its looks more like what I first imagined BlitzMax would be.

I visited the site and hit the buy button then the confusion set in.

The price is 120 dollars.

according to google : 120 U.S. dollars = 73.7236592 British pounds
Bing : 120 US Dollar = 73.85976 Pound Sterling

yet on share it it says the price is : GBP 81.34 (plus tax/VAT)
GBP 96.79 (including tax/VAT)

what going on ?. Thats quite a difference in exchange rates.
OK.. so in real money terms its only around 7 pounds more but really!?. Do that enough times and someone is making a tidy little bonus.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#2]
That's the same story for bucket shops like Paypal. They make a fortune with these conversion rates and often it's better to buy in US$ directly and let your credit card company do the swap. Bid/Ask spreads in currencies are very tight in the interbank market but not if you want to exchange some money in the bank directly. It's some kind of an addition fee...

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
The problem is that Paypal invent their own more favourable exchange rates. Banks do it too. When I receive funds in USD, Barclays use an exchange rate that's typically $0.05c above what the rate actually is, effectively fiddling me out of hundreds of pounds. Then they charge me another kick-in-the-teeth £6 for the privilege.

Winni(Posted 2011) [#4]
This "fantasy" exchange rate is shown already -before- you choose PayPal as your payment option. ShareIt adds around 10 Euros to the official Dollar/Euro exchange rate before you can even select a form of payment.

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#5]
why on shareit does it show $142.80 if you change the currency back to us dollars? or £95 if you select pounds. strange :o/

MCP(Posted 2011) [#6]
This kind of problem can be found in the UK highstreet also. There's been quite a few times I've walked into a bookstore and seen a book retailing for example 45USD as printed on the back cover, only to take it to the counter where the shop assistant will try to charge me 45GBP for it.
Well I'm sorry but even with shipping costs etc. I fail to see how 45USD = 45GBP. There's only one word for it... robbery!

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#7]
$142.80 im getting as the shareit price so where is the $120 mark has it as on his site? As this is the only payment option he's using i think it would be more clear if the shareit price was displayed on his store page.