Question and request about targets.

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Question and request about targets.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have a quick question about the iOS(iPhone) Target, and a request about it really but this could and should go for any other target when it deals with third party stores.

Could some one in the know, please run us down a detailed step by step of the process of deploying to a target and what if any costs are involved.

For example.

Assume that I have my game coded already, its done, tested, working and I am now ready to deploy it onto say the iPhone, whats my next move, what do I do who do I call how much does it cost do I need an iMac to compile do I need an iPhone to compile whats the fine print whats the details. ??

I am if you have not realized planning to deploy some stuff to the iPhone but Android and other platforms as well once I buy monkey, but in the mean time I am trying to gather as much information as I can about what I need and what costs I may need to cover.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
Officially you need a Mac to compile for iPhone, because Xcode runs only on Mac OS X. So unless you already have one that's quite a hefty expense.

Unofficially, you can run OSX on most PCs and in VirtualBox, but it will be at least slightly buggy (it's disgustingly slow in a virtual machine), and this may not be an appropriate environment for developing commercial software. The operating system by itself is something like £25, and includes Xcode.

There's also a fee of 100 something ($? £? I forget) to register as an iPhone developer and use the App Store. You don't need to pay this just to develop and test on your own machines though.

John G(Posted 2011) [#3]
I believe the Apple iOS or Mac App Stores cost $99 (USD) per year plus 30% of your app/game selling price.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#4]
Damn having have a mac is gona kill me. And deploying stuff to apple istore is what I really wana do.

:(

Well same question above but for android and windows phone this is all stuff we need to know.

do you need a mac to upload your app to apple or make an account with them ? If I can do all that via pc I might just look for a friend to compile to iPhone for me.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#5]
You can use hackintosh. It works great. Mac OS does cost $29 for the upgrade version which is enough.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thinking about getting a second hand iBook from eBay but got no clue about macs need to find out what the minimum spec machine I can buy is that will compile my code cos that's all I will be using it for.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#7]
I have a Macbook with Intel(32 bit) 2 Ghz core duo processor and it works great for what I need it. I would suggest you get any intel core 2 duo (64 bit) because the 32bit macs are close to becoming obsolete. any "core 2 duo" is 64 bit. IBooks(PPC) are not compatible with Monkey.

edited it's not 1Ghz its 2Ghz

Last edited 2011

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#8]
damn, for a second I thought I was gona be able to pick up a mac just to compile iphone stuff with for less than 100$ via ebay.

but if your saying the older ibooks wont do the job then thats poo!. :/

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#9]
do you need a mac to upload your app to apple or make an account with them ?

You need a mac to upload your app. There is a special uploader application which verifies a number of details with the app store to make sure that your app bundle is valid before you waste time waiting for a review.

If I can do all that via pc I might just look for a friend to compile to iPhone for me.

This is not a good idea. In order to compile for you, your friend would need all of your credentials and would have complete control over your account. Anything they did - whether intentional or not - would be tied to you, and since the Apple terms of service expressly forbid letting anyone else have that kind of access, you would be legally liable for anything that person did.

Deploying to Android/iOS is not really cheap any way you look at it. You need a few different devices to test on because one won't cut it. Android, in particular, has so many gotchas and devices which report functionality that they don't actually have that you just can't easily predict what will work and what won't. On iOS you have different aspect ratios, and you have the retina displays where the resolution is much higher but the screen size is the same. Then you have certain functionality which tied to a particular OS version and you have to find a way to stop people with other versions buying it and rating your app down. It's not something you can really afford to skimp on - even more so if you're contemplating spreading yourself even thinner supporting multiple mobile platforms. If you can afford to do one platform properly, I'd suggest picking one and just doing that one. I'd personally lean toward iOS because it's a lot more predictable than Android. I have no experience with Windows Phone, but there seems to be no money in Windows Phone development.

EDIT: Although Android is probably cheaper since you could probably get by with three test devices, which would almost certainly be cheaper than a Mac Mini and a couple of iOS devices.

Last edited 2011

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#10]

I have no experience with Windows Phone, but there seems to be no money in Windows Phone development.

Jame Mintram is pretty keen on WP7 development, I had a beer with him a few weeks ago and had a go of his current project (One of Greys I think), worked really well (Our lass had a go and was quite content sitting there playing, lol, which was a boon because she doesnt do games).

We got talking and he seems to think the platform is viable, time will tell though... If he phones me up saying "Dabz, get yourself to Newcastle, I'll get the beers", then I'll let you know! ;)

Dabz