phone question

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/phone question

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm opting for this new phone, and I'm fairly n00b on this subject :-)

Samsung C3500 Ch@t 350

According to the specs it has Java support, whatever it means: MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1

Display is 320x240 touch screen.

Does this mean I can run my own Monkey .js on it?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
.js = JavaScript. Has nothing to do with Java.

This is not an actual answer to your question, as I have no idea about the phone, but you certainly can't do it in that way.

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#3]
So, are there cheap phones (say, €100..€150 range) that can run monkey .js anyway?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#4]
it depends on what internet browser it has. You are better off spending a bit more and getting a decent-ish android phone imo.

Last edited 2011

_JIM(Posted 2011) [#5]
HTML5 monkey games on phones are a no-no right now. Even though some browsers are able to draw HTML5, interaction is almost zero. Safari (on the iPhone) sometimes sends input further to the canvas, but not always. Usually the input is used to control the browser (pan, zoom, etc.)

On the android default browser I found no way to get to the game so far. It does run nicely in the background, but you can't interact with it.

And those are high-end browsers. That phone's browser probably doesn't even render HTML5.

I would also advise saving up a little bit more and go for something with android on it. However, you'll still need to target the android and not HTML5 if you want to see a game running on your phone.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
I just bought an LG Optimus One at the recommendation of therevills. Very nice mid-range phone with a non-ridiculous price tag, unlike you'd get with some of the top-end HTCs.

Only played a couple of games from the android market but they all ran great. Therevills uses his for monkeying about on, I believe.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#7]
I think the ZTE Racer (aka Orange SanFrancisco and a couple of other branded names) is the basic Android gaming phone these days. You can pick them up for about £85-90 on PAYG, which is pretty reasonable. I think they all have Froyo on them, and they should be capable of running a Monkey game no problem.

EDIT: Oh, if you get a branded one, you'll probably want to uninstall all the brand-specific crap they install on them, but that's well documented on t'internet.

Last edited 2011

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#8]
My Dad got himself an LG Optimus 2X on Saturday, I've got to say, it's the best phone I've ever seen. Dual core 1ghz processor, 4 inch screen, 8 meg camera, android 2.2, expandable to 40gb storage, I'm ever so slightly jealous.

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#9]
Ordered the LG Optimus One p500!

EOF(Posted 2011) [#10]
If you want a super bargain Android phone check this out

Pulse Mini

OS	Android OS, v2.1 (Eclair)
Screen	TFT resistive touchscreen, 256K colors, 240x320 2.8"
GPRS	Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
EDGE	Class 10, 236.8 kbps
3G	HSDPA 3.6 Mbps
WLAN	Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
BTooth	v2.0 with A2DP
USB	v2.0
CPU	600 MHz ARM 11 processor
GPU	Adreno 200 GPU, Qualcomm MSM7227 chipset
Camera	3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, LED flash
Radio	FM radio
Battery	Li-Ion 1150 mAh

How much you ask? ... £30 !!!

Review: - Steve Litchfield - Pulse Mini (1:50)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#11]
GFK:

I hope the LG Optimus One is a good phone, I just ordered one to use for testing when I develop for Android.

So now I have an iPhone4, iPhone3G and the new LG.

CS_TBL(Posted 2011) [#12]
Without doubt, GfK is an LG shareholder.. :P

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#13]
Dual Sim Android 2.2 for €99!

http://www.pearl.de/a-PX3500-4099.shtml?rate=5

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#14]
I dunno i would not trust any cheap Android phone that i have never heard of.... 99 eurekas sounds way too cheap.

Basically android is a un-tied-down OS like Windows or Linux if you get crap hardware then the whole experience will be crap.