Anyway possible to run Monkey demo code on IE8

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/Anyway possible to run Monkey demo code on IE8

Matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello,
I briefly tried downloading the Monkey demo on my work desktop which uses IE8 and runs WinXP - I haven't been able to get any of the demos to run though.

I did some reading and realise now that HTML5 does not run on WinXP under IE - is there no way at all to get HTML5 to run in IE8?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#2]
Install and use Chrome/ff/safari is your only option I think for xp because ms made the irresponsible decision to not let the majority of their customers have the latest security and features.

Ie8 is a dogs dinner anyway.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
You could try this:

http://www.google.com/chromeframe

Google Chrome Frame is a free plug-in for Internet Explorer...

Winni(Posted 2011) [#4]
because ms made the irresponsible decision to not let the majority of their customers have the latest security and features

Interesting. As far as I know, nobody is releasing new web browsers for ten years old versions of Linux or Mac OS X either. You cannot even install Firefox 4 or Chrome on the latest version of Mac OS X Leopard for PowerPC, which is not even three years old. Irresponsible, really.

Or, as Steve Jobs would say: "We had to draw the line somewhere." (When he had to inform the public that iOS 4 would not run on the first generation iPhone anymore.)

XP already has two successors and a third, Windows 8, is in development. I think it's time to perform a reality check and finally upgrade to a modern OS.

To Matty: As much as I disagree with D4NM4N's statement about the lack of XP support, I fully agree with his statement about Internet Explorer and the other browsers, Firefox, Safari and Chrome. My personal favorite is Firefox 4, but all three are great browsers and if you develop web applications, you should have them all installed anyway for testing purposes.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
XP already has two successors and a third, Windows 8, is in development. I think it's time to perform a reality check and finally upgrade to a modern OS.

Be that as it may...

- XP still has a roughly 50% (!!!) market share on personal PC's, consisting of hundreds of millions of users.
- Microsoft's Extended support phase for XP won't expire until june 2014

That's hardly comparable with Apple dropping PPC support...

MS is finding out the hard way that their biggest competitor is Microsoft... and trying to do whatever they can to force people to upgrade. Since many people don't WANT to upgrade from XP (in part thanks to the marketing trainwreck of windows Vista) the only incentive that Microsoft has is to make sure their new stuff doesn't work under XP.
They tried it initially with locking DX11 to vista, but that backfired when vista didn't catch on and developers instead pretty much ignored DX11 altogether.

Interesting enough, MS is trying their hardest to get people to give up on IE6, and even created an official IE6 death watch website: http://www.ie6countdown.com

Too bad for them that years of lock-in resulted in just that. :-?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#6]
Microsoft's Extended support phase for XP won't expire until june 2014

That's support, not development of new stuff. If they kept adding new bits to XP until 2014 people would still be making full and active use of it. We're into the cooldown period now: Microsoft's main concern with XP support is keeping it safe and stable, but they shouldn't be encouraging users to see it as something that will stay competitive by adding features or new software.

Anyway, Microsoft have to deal with not just lock-in but the support culture they've built around themselves (although the philosophy of eternal backward compatibility is a damn good one - but that's the opposite thing). The ridiculously long lifespan of their products (Windows 1.0 was still officially supported in 2001. That's the 21st century.) has taught people that upgrading is an unfortunate inconvenience, to be avoided if possible, not something you do every six months as part of your automatic system update.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#7]
Matty, you might want to take a look at this:

http://code.google.com/p/explorercanvas/wiki/Instructions

The excanvas.js file is in the Downloads section.

I wouldn't necessarily expect too much, though, if it works at all...

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#8]
Interesting. As far as I know, nobody is releasing new web browsers for ten years old versions of Linux or Mac OS X either. You cannot even install Firefox 4 or Chrome on the latest version of Mac OS X Leopard for PowerPC, which is not even three years old. Irresponsible, really.

Probably because the latest lightweight versions of linux can run on almost 20 year old hardware (if more than a little slow!)., and major release upgrades are freely available.

The difference is, XP is totally capable of running "IE9" chrome and firefox alone testament to that. If anything the only possible -genuine- reason (other than making money of course) is it is due to bad design by intergrating the browser so heavily into windows. If it is about money then there are to be honest FAR better ways of "forcing" users to upgrage by denying services, rather than sacrificing security.
Ok so you have to draw the line somewhere, but when half the planet are still using your OS you do not just cut them off (at least where security is concerned). No you wait until it is a good minority.

As for apple, i am surprised they are not yet charging by the click. So we are in agreement on that score.

Last edited 2011

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#9]
What's security got to do with IE9? Are they not releasing security patches for IE8 any more?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#10]
It has quite a bit to do with security because each generation of browsers close many holes. There was that thing in the news a while back that only effected v8 and below for example, apparently ie9 beta did not have this problem. There was also a provlem i remember years ago that only effected V6, but V8 users were ok.

They may be issuing fixes for ie now, but XP extended support only has about 2 years left which likely includes updates for IE8 too, -unless they are going to change the design of IE8 to allow it to get updates another way. I cannot see the masses of XP users getting lower in that time.

Last edited 2011

Hotcakes(Posted 2011) [#11]
There was that thing in the news a while back that only effected v8 and below for example, apparently ie9 beta did not have this problem.

I'm sure that news article mentioned a patch for IE8 and below was either released or in the works, though?