No laughing (well,, at least not out loud)

Community Forums/Monkey Talk/No laughing (well,, at least not out loud)

Doggie(Posted 2011) [#1]
How do you get an html5 monkey program to load from the iPad
instead of loading an online page? Seriously. I can't figure it out.
Tried a USB stick prog but it doesn't work.
Also I saw a thing called ezKiosk for Ipad that let's you use a browser without any of the browser showing, just your own code. I'm thinking that would be perfect to make an html5 monkey app appear more or less like a regular app without all the fuss buying a mac and expensive software etc etc etc.
Why on earth Apple doesn't allow programming on the iPad itself is a mystery to me. Eliminates 80% of the products I would no doubt buy.
Senseless...frustrating. So far I got Ebook magic which at least let's me make simple little books. Big whoop. LOL

Thanks for any help or hints.

DOG

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#2]
Doesn't the file: protocol work on iPad's web browser (Safari I guess)?
On Windows you can do like file:///c:/ and it opens the C: drive in my browser (FireFox4).
So on Linux and Unix (=MacOS), something like file://// or file:/// should work.

Sledge(Posted 2011) [#3]
How do you get an html5 monkey program to load from the iPad
Without jail-breaking my instinct is that this will be either impossible or impractical and almost certainly temporary (ie if you can do it at all it'll only be because of a security hole).

Is it even worth it? (How do html5 apps run within Mobile Safari on the original iPad and older generation iPhone/iPods?)

Why on earth Apple doesn't allow programming on the iPad itself is a mystery to me.

Because it's for human beings, not nerds; because it has to function as a managed retail outlet rather than a free-for-all to be worthwhile; and because they can get you to buy a nice, shiny, expensive Mac. In fact that's exactly how iOS came about -- "How can we get Doggie to buy a Mac?" they sat around asking themselves, "He's so blimmin' stubbo... AHA!" So, nice work mate.

Doggie(Posted 2011) [#4]
@Sledge
Ain't it the truth? I'm thinking of e-mailing Apple and asking them for the Mac that was supposed to be included in my iPad purchase. I thought it was kind of odd that the package I got was so small...

=O+O=

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2011) [#5]
You need to be running an "HTTP server" on a machine that is on your network.

Say for example you are running Apache on your windows box - the IP of the machine is 192.168.2.2 - Apache Document root is c:\http

Connect your iPad to your local network - type http://192.168.2.2 (your apache machine IP) into safari and you should get a page served.

Take a look at this and notice the URL : http://yfrog.com/f/gykr0roj/

Doggie(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yeah but that more or less defeats the idea of having an "app" offline on my iPad. Really, the ipad is good cuz there's lots of music apps,synths,sequencers,dj stuff etc for $1 to $15 or so...Else I'd feel the thing's a total bust. Try to find even one app that let's you create something besides music or a notecard or sketch. "bout it.
Thanks for the input indiepath. appreciate it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#7]
sell it and but an android one :P

Doggie(Posted 2011) [#8]
Naw, I'm gonna keep it cuz I really like the music stuff and there's always free games that aren't all that bad. But I'll probably get an android 3.0 Asus or something. I dunno. Maybe.